Friday, January 8, 2021

Not what I used to be

 It was 9am on a beautiful winter's morning, just after Christmas.


There was snow on the branches, and sun on the snow - a perfect winter wonderland

A text came in from a friend - was I up for a snowshoe hike that afternoon? We'd been trying to get together for a walk for ages, but various things had got in the way. So, I jumped at the opportunity for some safe, outdoor, responsibly-distanced fun, and we made a date for around 2:30pm.


For a couple of hours of snowy, woodsy rambling

There was a problem, though: rain was predicted to start that evening, and wash all that lovely snowpack away. Much as I love snowshoeing, I hadn't got my cross-country skis out yet this season, and it's tougher to find good enough snow to ski on than it is to find snow for snowshoeing. Plus I needed to get out for a run (because 100 in 100), so this was all going to have to be a bit tactical.


Esme, though, was not feeling any particular sense of urgency while we had a bite to eat.

Tanker was sweet enough to load up our skis and poles in the car, then we got changed into kit and set off for the Beaverdale Road trailhead of the Mill Run Trail. The car gave us a bit of a scare with a very difficult start - we were starting to fear for the battery before the engine finally caught - but fortunately ran perfectly afterward. We arrived just after noon, and if you're thinking that 3 hours is a lot of time to get ready and be at a trailhead 10mins from home, well...heck it, I was on holidays. 


It may also have taken me around 30mins just to figure out what I needed to wear

Conditions on the trail were fantastic - we'd been concerned about sticky snow with temperatures around the freezing mark, but since the passage of lots of feet ahead of us had packed things down significantly we were getting pretty solid glide.


Except when we ventured a bit off piste..

We skied out about 2km west to Speedsville Road, and I was starting to feel it a bit - it's almost like I was taking part in a sport in which I'd had zero practice for 11 months or something..


Imagine that!

By the time we returned to the car - a little more than 45mins later, as I'd been stopping lots to take photos of the snowy trail - my whole body was letting me know that 4km was plenty for the first ski of the year. 


I was just delighted to have got one in, and to share it with my sweetheart!

Then, of course, I shucked off my wind vest, insulated skirt, and ski boots - I threw on a pair of running shoes, and took off at twenty past one in the opposite direction to the section we'd skied, heading west toward Hespeler.


Across the ugly new bridge they put in last November - the wooden one was so much better suited to the trail!

I tried to strike a balance between my photographic appreciation of the snowy woods and trying to keep moving efficiently, as I knew I was a bit short on time..


But it was SO PRETTY

All told it took me just shy of 35mins to run a little more than 5km out to Guelph Avenue and back, with numerous compliments on my ugly Christmas sweater from other trail users.


It's just perfectly, festively hideous!

Jumping in the car with moments to spare before 2pm, I was very happy that I'd laid out my change of clothes for snowshoeing before we'd left. I ate the thermos full of oatmeal I'd prepared and left in the car while Tank drove us home, jumped into my dry apparel, and was back out the door by 2:30pm...having let my friend know I'd be a few minutes late.


The snow hadn't gone anywhere yet, though!

My snowshoes were strapped on and we set off into the woods by 2:50pm, having our breath taken away by the gorgeous scenery, the lingering sunshine, and occasionally the hills.


The sun lined up just perfectly down one particular corridor

The temperatures had stayed fairly mild - only about -2c - so it was comfortable to be out with minimal insulation as long as you were moving a bit.


Elf hat optional.

Ninety or so minutes and nearly 6km later, the sun was starting to fade..


..and so was I.

Back to my car - which fortunately had performed perfectly after the one morning hiccup, and didn't even get stuck! - I thanked my friend for a fun hike, bade them goodbye, and headed home. I finally got to drink the cup of coffee I'd quickly made while getting changed (delighted to find it still hot thanks to one of my incredible collection of insulated vessels; if you go outdoors in winter, you owe it to yourself to get a great thermos that will keep a beverage hot for you to enjoy when you're done), and ate the granola bar I'd stuck in my pocket.

I arrived back at the house by 4:30pm, had a salad and a hot shower, and went for a little 20min walk around our neighbourhood with Tank. By the time 8pm rolled around, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open! That's when I finally figured out that I'd sort of accidentally put in over 3 hours of self-propelled time since noon that day.


And also carried around a little extra weight here and there.

I hadn't had a day that full of motion since early November, and certainly not since (probably) contracting Covid in early December. While my symptoms were never more than a bit of a cold, it's now been over a month since the virus came home and I still have a bit of drippy nose in the morning, plus an occasional wheeze in my throat. 

It occurred to me that my plan - to ski, run, then snowshoe hike all in an afternoon - had been born out of arrogance. I've barely done any runs over an hour this year, let alone put in the long training days to which I'd become accustomed in years past. I blithely assumed I could pursue 3 sports in a day with no repercussions, and was appropriately humbled (and worn the heck out!) by the attempt.

Still, I think it says a lot for the lasting quality of endurance adaptation that I was able to enjoy a long day on my feet at all, in spite of the year's de-training and while getting over an illness. To be honest I didn't even really feel the weight of the fatigue until I was in that hot shower afterward, when I swear it felt like the stream of water turned into a ton of bricks falling on me.


I suddenly felt as laden as this fallen tree, and just as much like laying down!

I was bright enough to give myself the grace to only run once the next day, offering at least a bit of recovery. Since then, I've tried to be a bit more aware of pushing myself as I really don't want to allow this idiot virus to regain a foothold. I have a long way to go (both literally and figuratively) to get back in ultra shape, and I'd rather not be the perpetrator of any of my own setbacks!


Still 100% worth it to have such a lovely day playing in the snow, though.

Wishing you all a happy new year, and hoping you've had a safe and enjoyable holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!