Friday, January 29, 2021

Just goofin' around

Running can be tough to keep up during the winter.


It's definitely not all blue skies and sunshine.


When the wind howls and it seems like it's been weeks since you've felt the sun on your face, it can be difficult to motivate yourself to get out and chug around in the cold. Add in the pandemic restrictions making life more complicated, and the couch seems like a much more attractive option.

Well, more comfortable anyway - it's definitely prettier out in the woods!


So, here's my suggestion. Don't go out for a run - go out for play instead.


No really - hear me out.


I've had a tough week - putting in a lot of overtime to finish off some projects, and trying to solve all the problems that come across my desk. Sometimes I hardly take lunch, or do so late enough that it can't really be considered "lunch" at all.


Call it a late afternoon run and big snack?


I have more than enough work in my life without making running seem like a chore, so I choose to play instead. How do I do that? Same way that you can, and it starts by noticing what's around you.


Oh look!


For most normal humans, that's an informative plaque about plantation forests and a prime example of forest management. If you're willing to be a bit of a goof about it, though..

The perfect posing chäir!
(It may help to be a fan of @ultrarunningmemes here)


You can stop and swing from a handy branch - by your hands, or try from your knees if you're braver (and more flexible). You don't have to be on a trail, either; most suburban and urban areas have parks, and playgrounds, and maybe fitness equipment. Who says you have to be under highschool age to have a go on the slide, or swing on the swingset?


Like my hot new motorcycle?
(NB: use caution if you're over 100lbs and try something on a spring.
There may or may not have been a near-faceplant)


Even something as mundane as shoveling your driveway can be a little more fun if you include random dance breaks - why shouldn't you do the same while running?

Everyday I'm shovelin'..


You can stop to build a snowman or other snow-sculpture, roll down a hill instead of running down, or just blanket your neighbourhood with snow angels.

Snowy dead-end street? SNOW ANGEL TIME!


Of course, you're going to need to be bundled up for all of this, and I absolutely do not recommend doing anything near traffic or on private property that could get you fined, hurt, or even just yelled at.


There's plenty of fun to be had in public spaces, as long as you don't mind looking like a bit of an idiot!


I just don't think we get enough chances in our adult lives to play, but running is an excellent chance to change that...and you never know, you might actually start to look forward to getting out there in the cold!


Give it a try, and let me know about the antics you get up to!

I've not been able to find an attribution for it, but there's a fantastic quote that really embodies all of this:

"If you choose not to find joy in the snow, you will have less joy in your life, but still the same amount of snow."


Me? I'll choose joy every time, and I hope you do, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!