Friday, January 15, 2021

Small Wonders

 There's one thing I really love about the 100 runs in 100 day challenge.


Strangely, the actual "running 8-ish times per week" is not it.

Because I end up running doubles (partly so I can still make the full 100 runs while still taking some rest days, and partly because I'm a bit of a bloody fool), I end up adding in a bunch of short-distance runs on weekends throughout the duration of the challenge. The minimum distance to count (by Slowtwitch rules) is technically 3mi/4.828km or 30mins, which means I can hit up some shorter trails and tracts that wouldn't necessarily be much fun for 20+km solo jaunts in months (and years, for that matter) when I'm actually trying to train for ultras. 


Places like FWR Dickson Wilderness Area

With the pandemic in full swing, it's more attractive than ever to find new spaces where I might be able to avoid people, and I've been having fun discovering some new spots in our area that I'd either never heard of or seen before. When I'm running long on weekends during the summers, it's often not feasible for us to go check out a place with only 3-5km of trail. Now, though? What else have I really got to do except check out new pretty places?


Or some - like the Lions Lake Trail outside Elmira - I'd only seen once before

Two good resources for finding trails in your area are Trailforks and AllTrails - both have free web interfaces and mobile apps (plus some paid, premium services, but I've only ever used the free versions) and the ability to search in a particular area. I keep both apps on my phone, partly just to idly flick through maps in hopes of finding a new, fun place, and partly because their maps can be really handy if you find yourself less than confident in navigating one of those new places. 


Or need to re-route for some reason..
(Not that I did in this case, as a matter of fact I found this sign after I'd already run across the sketchy boardwalk)

 

Not every trail will necessarily be a winner, and some definitely have better applications than others.


I don't think I'll be attempting any speedwork here.

I also recommend giving yourself plenty of time before sunset - which we all know comes far too early these days, though is finally starting to appreciably creep back from its pre-5pm winter apogee - when exploring new places. 


For some reason there's a difference between hearing coyotes howling nearby on a familiar trail versus one I've never run before.

You might think that winter would be a poor time to go gallivanting around on unknown trails, but there are some spots that are at least as beautiful under the cover of a fresh snowfall as they are in the full bloom of summer.


..if not moreso!

You might also discover a place you'll want to return to in another season for other reasons; a new favourite picnic spot, fishing hole, or a fitness trail with stations to work on full-body strength while surrounded by nature.


Wrigley Lake might be a lovely place to paddle when the water isn't quite so...hard.

So go forth and have a poke around a new place; the stay home orders permit you to go out for the purpose of exercise, so why not take advantage of that by giving your body and mind a taste of someplace new?


You never know what you might discover.

Be safe and have fun! Oh, and if you happen to stumble across a real gem, be a good sport and share it, will you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!