Friday, February 19, 2021

Neuf

I have a calendar item that tells me something weird: as of Tuesday next week, it'll be nine years since I started this blog.


This is apparently my 481st post, which I assume is approximately 48 posts per reader

I'd already been competing in endurance athletics (mostly road running and triathlon) for nearly 3 years when I moved to this format instead of the clunky, hand-coded website I reserved for race reports only. I had secured some sponsorships, and was really a bit excitable about the whole business. 


I'd like to think I've learned not to take myself so seriously.

In that very vein, I made an executive decision: despite it being a long weekend, I wasn't going to try to bank a bunch of doubles to improve my standings in the 100 in 100. Instead, I would try to improve my general well-being and chill the heck out a little.


To be clear: we may have differing approaches to "chill"

Saturday rather punished my attempt to go about business as usual: my morning run down to the Cambridge Farmers' Market for groceries took place in bitter cold, with wind blowing the falling snow in my face most of the way. Brunch was ok - the "hanging out with my sweetheart" bit - but then I encountered a whole bunch of self-entitled people roam around Huron Natural Area when I went for a second run that day.

It was still pretty, but I was rather soured on the whole thing..

The snow - which had just started falling again as I arrived - seemed to get heavier as the light faded. I hadn't brought a headlamp, and even if I had it would have been difficult to see. I had thoughts about pushing a little further than a single lap, but it was clearly not my day.


So I ran away.

Sunday was Valentine's Day, so we started with a heart-y brunch.


By which I mean: if you look closely, I carved the strawberries on the waffle into heart shapes.

..then it was off to a trail with Tank to take advantage of the beautiful sunshine, and all the snow that had fallen through the week.


A precious moment of solitude on the otherwise well-used trail

Well, call it duo-tude

Conditions were fabulous, and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly - we even got warm enough that it didn't feel entirely strange hitting up our local vegan/allergy-friendly ice cream shop to sample both their "chocolate dipped strawberry" and "chocolate raspberry" flavours, which they kindly packed into a single pint for us. Seriously; you should check them out. The frozen treats are awesome, they carry a bunch of other vegan and allergen-free foods (everything from popcorn and granola bars to entrĂ©es), and it's owned by just the sweetest lady ever. 

Though sweetest guy ever goes to this fellow right here <3

I didn't shirk off running entirely - as a matter of fact, I made good use of that snow on the trails by getting in only my 4th snowshoe run of the season. Appropriately enough, on the anniversary weekend of the inaugural Happy Trails snowshoe race "The Flurry".


Amusingly enough, I think I wore the same outfit just by coincidence..

While Tank went for a walk in the same woods, I ran up a big stinkin' hill.


Yes, I'm aware it looks like nothing, and vert isn't real.


The view from the trailhead at the top was entirely worth it, and then I got to bail back down it!

Back home for an incredible dinner barbecued by my darling (and the ice cream that had survived our plundering between the ski and run/hike), we laid our plans for Family Day Monday. 


More rock and woods than rock and roll

There were two things on the docket: a hike, and a brew-up - preferably in a cave, as it was supposed to snow most of the day.


And there are plenty of places to hide from it, if you're willing to get a little low!

First, though, we ended up wandering over the ice - sturdied by the arctic blast of the past week - to check out a bit of a different perspective on some of the fascinating rock formations in Rockwood Lake.


Definitely a change from paddling past!

We accessed the Pothole Trail from a gently sloping spot on the shore of the lake, and went wandering through the cedars clinging tenaciously to the rocks, trying to restrain ourselves from doing some climbing.

So many tempting looking hand a foot holds..

Wandering through the potholes themselves, it's virtually impossible not to marvel at the incredible effects of water and time on the solid limestone.


What nature hath wrought.

Never having previously been to Rockwood in winter, we were fascinated by the icy sculptures formed by falling water among the rocks and trees.


Like this out-of-the-way little spot

Not to mention the year-round wonders of natural decay


I could sit and stare at the varying degradation rates of the rings for hours

..and of course the majestic beauty of towering rocks and the caves that lurk below them.


The sheer tonneage of stone on top of that deep void is mind boggling.

Having walked the Cave Trail, we ascended the Cedar Ridge Trail to head toward the car, which was parked in a lot that claimed it would be locked by an impassable gate at 4:30pm sharp. We did stop at the lookout (having paused to put on our spikes beforehand, as the path to it was treacherously icy), but otherwise hiked along efficiently so we'd have plenty of time before our car was trapped.


You can't come to Rockwood and not hit the lookout.

So we didn't get our brew-up in a cave, but we still got it among the trees: having moved our car to the central parking lot near the gate (which had been chock full when we arrived), we wandered over to a woodsy spot and cooked up some delicious post-hike hot chocolate.


It's not camping, but it's the closest we've come since October.

As for running? Well, that was almost an afterthought - really, I hadn't even picked a place to run, and foolishly hadn't brought a headlamp. We had to pop into Guelph on our way home, and as we came in York Road I spotted the covered bridge. Since Tank had never seen it, I asked him to stop at the small parking lot on the east side of the Speed River so we could check it out.


Covered bridges are always neat, but the construction of this one is fascinating

Then I realized we were right beside a trail - a groomed, crushed stone path that runs alongside the Eramosa River, a dammed portion of which actually forms Rockwood Lake before it joins the Speed River on its way to Cambridge, flowing just down the hill from our house.


Not the most interesting spot, but still quite nice, and safer than singletrack as sunset neared.

I set off heading northeast into the wind, and was soon rewarded by a new discovery: having only run a small section of this trail previously in absolutely atrocious freezing rain conditions, I'd never realised there was some singletrack right on the riverbank!

Ooh, now this I like!

Ice conditions varied widely: there were people skating just a few hundred metres upriver

I even found another of the eco-ornaments hanging off a tree near the terminus of the main trail.


The bright sumac shone out in the grey and white of an overcast winter evening

I explored for about 2.75km, until I came to a place where the trodden-down snow seemed to tail off in a pile of deadfall.

This is where - with fading light - we nope.

I figured I'd try to stay on the main trail for the way back.


I'm sure you know how that went.

With just enough light left to see how icy it was (after I'd already committed to taking it), I bopped along a section of conifer-lined singletrack I hadn't previously noticed, emerging right by the covered bridge once more.

I mean, at least I could only fall on the river, not in it - it was frozen solid at the banks.

When I reached the bridge itself, I ran across and back again, discovering that it's lit up at night with lights that sweep cascades of colour down its length!


Poorly captured by my cellphone's camera, but super neat to see!


The lights aren't very visible from the outside at dusk, though.

So I didn't spend the extra time away from work improving my run fitness, or chasing a spreadsheet - instead I had some fun and learned new things, while spending some extra time with the man I love. That may not sit well with the Type A crowd who think days off are some sort of weakness or personal failing, but like I said: I'd like to think I've learned not to take myself so seriously anymore. 


And cheers to that!

The final weekend of the 100 in 100 is upon us now; the challenge ends Monday. I've already equaled my prior best of 111 as of Thursday, so now the question becomes...do I put in a final push, or just cruise it in? 

Hmm...I wonder what flavours No Udder is scooping this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!