Friday, February 12, 2021

One hundred down

 ..who knows how many to go?


Winter light is so magnificently strange sometimes

The worst kept secret of all time is that I've been taking part in the annual Slowtwitch 100 runs in 100 days challenge again, only with a much earlier start date than ever. It began all the way back on November 15th, since which time I've managed to put in a pretty decent block of consistent running...despite (probably) catching Covid-19 in December, some rather long workdays, and the inherent challenges of a Canadian winter.


Keeping in mind I have no access to either indoor track or treadmill

By dint of my longest run streak ever (a modest 20 days over the holidays, but I'm someone that really values my usual Fridays off) and really committing to running twice per day every Saturday and Sunday, I arrived at last weekend with 96 runs already in the bag. 


Better scenery than a treadmill, anyway.

Of course, the weather had to come into play sometime: we'd had a relatively mild winter so far, with only a few dumps of snow. As much as it pains me to miss out on my favourite form of masochism, it's probably a good thing that the snowshoe racing season was cancelled due to the pandemic this year - I've not had much opportunity to train in my snowshoes due to the lack of lasting snow. We did get a dump of it last week, but then the temperatures plummeted just in time for the weekend of my final push to 100.


Thanks a bunch, Mother Nature!

The usual run to the market on Saturday morning had me busting out the wool tubular gaiter as a hood - a thing I don't do until the mercury drops to -10c or below. The wind made it feel like a positively frosty -19c (-2f), and I was glad to have Tanker meet me with a sweater to change into, and a heavy down coat and insulated skirt to throw on so I could shop without freezing solid. 


At least it had been sunny, though

Second run, though, was rather a different story.


The sun was long gone


I could have made it out before sunset, but you know that lack of snow I mentioned? It's made for a really crap cross-country ski season, and I decided Saturday afternoon that we couldn't afford to waste skiable conditions while they existed, so I spent the last of the daylight getting some kicks in with my sweetheart.

..and some glides, as well!

Then straight off to the head of the Mill Run Trail, where I was fortunate to be able to do a point-to-point running almost entirely downwind. It was a very dark night, and I didn't see another soul as I trotted through the woods.


If you look really closely, you can see a pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel of trees

It was cold enough that my phone refused to let me use flash photography at the dam, despite riding in the pocket of an insulated jacket against my right hip. Fortunately my trusty sweater, down coat, and insulated skirt awaited at the other end with Tank so we could hit the grocery store just a couple of kilometers from the trail before heading home to get some dinner and sleep.


..and let my jacket dry out, as I might need it again the next day.

Sunday dawned just as cold, but with even more wind driving the apparent temperature down to a bone-chilling -22c (-8f). I knew I needed to hide in the woods.


So that's exactly what I did!

The ups and downs of the Sudden Regional Forest felt like exactly what my legs needed after mostly flat running the day before, and I had a ball exploring the trails there in the afternoon sun. It's another one of those tracts that don't feel big enough for major trail runs when prepping for big races, but that I adore getting to know during 100 in 100 season when shorter, more frequent runs rule my weekend days.


What's not to love?


I wish I had more photos from this run, but the wind was so cold that my phone began to shut down of its own accord when I'd take it out to snap pics. For awhile I was able to re-warm it in my pocket, re-start it, then get one or two more shots off..


I'm delighted I was able to capture the stark contrast of these dark seeds against the snow


..but after awhile my phone would shut down without even reaching a full boot, so I put it away and just looked.


You might think this would absolve you of having to endure my endless run selfies.
You'd be wrong.

In milder weather I'll often plan that the hour between the end of one run and the start of another is spent in transit (and eating some stuff to refuel), but in deep cold it felt like a sketchy idea to start the second run wet with sweat from the first, so it was back home for a change of kit and then off to the Linear Trail - just down the hill from home - for my 4th run of the weekend and 100th run of the challenge.


It seemed quite appropriate that run #100 should begin at twilight

Fortunately the wind had died significantly by this time, so my out-and-back route didn't involve too much of a struggle. My poor phone, however, had definitely had enough of the cold; I was barely able to get a shot of the ever-photogenic confluence of the Grand & Speed River before it shut itself down once more.


It's usually a popular spot around sunset, but there was no-one about on this evening

Just before 7pm on Sunday, February 7th - day 85 of the challenge - I finished my 100th run and gratefully dove into the thermos of hot chocolate I'd left in the car. 


Taken after I got home, once my phone had warmed enough to cooperate again.

I'm far from outstanding among the participants in the challenge - you know, just like in everything else. You have to scroll a fair way down the page to see me in the standings, and my mileage is certainly nothing to brag about.


Though I will note that there are a total of 395 participants who have logged at least 20 runs, putting me in the top 10%

I have, however, had quite a bit of fun along the way.


Like reaching new heights..


..and seeing things from another perspective.

..and of course, I've continued to run Monday through Thursday this week, because damnit it's a ONE HUNDRED DAY challenge. My prior best - set last year - was 111 runs over the course of the 100 days. I have the opportunity to beat that this year by simply keeping on doing what I've been doing. So, as the biting cold settles over the trails once more, I'll layer up tomorrow for another double run day. No point in coasting it in when you can end off strong.


Everyone knows you've gotta put in a kick as you approach the finish!

Wishing you all a very happy Family Day weekend (or President's Day for my friends to the South) - stay warm and go be awesome!

Edited to add (13-Feb-2021): from Nov 15th, 2020 to Feb 7th, 2021 I took a total of 10 days off from running (every Friday except Christmas Day and New Year's Day) so I actually completed 100 runs in 75 days, and since I never ran more than twice in a day that equates to 25 double run days in the span of 85 days. It's the "100 runs in 100 days" challenge, NOT the "run 100 days in a row" challenge. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, well done! Anyone can head out on a calm sunny day, but dark windy cold nights take determination. I also like that I'm not reading posts about bad feet and backs lately. Should I sell my KT tape stock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil! I'd hold on to that stock, though; just because I've quit whining about the back and ankle doesn't mean they aren't still cranky buggers who make their opinions on my life choices abundantly clear! Sometimes you've just got to tape their mouths shut to get some peace..

      Delete

Go on, have at me!