Friday, January 12, 2024

Unseasoned

We're finally starting to get some winter in our winter!

After a distinct lack of it

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea - and I don't always enjoy it myself - but I really do miss the snow in the years we don't get much. 

I like a little more than just a dusting

This week seems to be the ticket, though: I finally had some decently snowy running on Sunday!

Helping cover up the dull brown and grey that everything has turned

The colder weather has also led to some really neat ice formations along the rivers in town.

Twigs looking like fat dipped candles below the Hespeler Millpond dam

I had kind of a pleasant morning run through the snow on Tuesday..

..though it was definitely a little tougher than it would have been with clear ground.

I also had a truly horrible run in the mixed precipitation later that same afternoon.

Not overjoyed

To be fair, the streets were a disgusting mess of slush by then, with each road crossing a nightmare of deep slush puddles.

Add in no less than 3 vehicles splashing me with slush from ankle to thigh, and I would honestly have rather taken the heckin' bus

Things settled down a bit after another dump of snow (that fell on me as I actually was walking up to catch the bus towards my office) on Thursday, and some new friends appeared!

This one was a little too small for a hug

There's more coming tonight, though, and I have high hopes that soon I'll finally be able to get the snowshoes out for a rip!

Which would be nice, with a snowshoe race I'd quite like to do coming up in just a few weeks

I'd also love to get our cross-country skis out - it's been nearly a year since we had the chance to kick and glide.

We certainly won't be skiing on the river any time soon, though.

And yet...as much as I do love a snowy day, what I'd really like to see is some sun. The last time I was outdoors in sunshine was December 15th; almost a full month ago.

This is the closest I've come since - looking out my front door on Jan 4th, but had no time to get outside

Stay safe in the storm tonight for those who will be affected, and cross your fingers that the sun still exists!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!