Friday, January 19, 2024

Hitting pause

 ..or rather, paws.

It's looking pretty polar out there

Yes, I know I was the one asking for winter - and now that it's come, I bet a lot of you are probably mad at me for giving it the invitation.

I didn't know it was gonna drop to -12c/10f for the daily high - I just wanted a little snow, I didn't think I'd suddenly need insulated layers to run!

Some of it has been super gross, too, since the initial snowfall turned to rain that soaked through. I headed out for my first real snow run of the season and ended up with absolutely drenched feet due to the hidden slush puddles.

NOT AMUSED

Once I was aware of them, I did my best to work around them...but sometimes that was a little difficult.

*laughs nervously*

By Saturday night the temperature plummeted and the slush began to freeze up, but I had trust issues so I broke out some assistance for second run.

It also started snowing again

Blizzard conditions while snowshoe running at night was an interesting experience

..especially with the wind whipping through the trees, causing branches to crack and fall around me


Having survived that, Sunday's sunny trail wander was practically a cake walk.

Except the wind was so bitter and vicious that I needed insulated shorts even to do a point-to-point that was almost all downwind


Through the early part of the week, it definitely wasn't just me that was feeling a little less than cheerful about the conditions.

Spotted on the multi-use path down the hill from my house

I wasn't about to argue: it was bitter enough out that my wool tubular gaiter frosted up around my face while I ran.

Keeping in mind I don't even bother with the gaiter over my head until -10c/14f or below

The deep freeze finally broke a bit yesterday - it was a near-balmy -5c/23f when I went out to hang with some cool folks in downtown Kitchener.

Not very chatty, but they gave me plenty of room to pass

Now, however, it seems like the early part of the week was just conditioning for tomorrow...when the 2024 edition of the Polar Paws Winter Trail Run kicks off at Long Point Eco Adventures, and the weather prediction looks like this:

Brrrrrr

The cut-off is just shy of 5 hours, so I may actually make it...but you can bet I'll be bundling up!

..and hoping for some sun

Stay warm, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!