Friday, September 22, 2023

C'est Bon

After three years of waiting, Monster of Mazinaw is finally a go!

With views of Mazinaw Rock that will make these cliffs along the Grand River look like nothing

I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced in 2019, as Bon Echo Provincial Park is one of my favourite places in the world. While I'm registered for the 60k (the longest distance available), I plan to drop to the 30k - it will still let me see the whole course, but hopefully won't be quite as hard on me.

The trails around here aren't the only things that have taken some damage

I suffered a minor back injury in late August - just as I was starting to get back on my feet after Tally - during a hockey game. Some physio got me feeling much better, until the very last play of another hockey game.


The first injury happened early in the game, and I was able to keep playing; this time, I could barely get back to my feet after collapsing to the ice. I managed to very carefully get to the dressing room and change out of my gear, but on Saturday I could barely walk and the pain was relentless. I tried my inversion table, my TENS machine, stretching - nothing would settle it down. I finally resorted to some strong anti-inflammatory drugs we had on hand from when Tank broke his hand in February, and those gave me enough relief to exist without constant whimpering.

It would still be a couple of days before I'd attempt even a tiny run again

This particular injury seems to be more persistent than those I've had in the past, partly because I think it arose from some changes in the way my pelvis and spine interact after some chiropractic treatment the week before the hockey game in which I was originally hurt. Trying to unwind a chronic issue that's been going on for several years doesn't necessarily come without consequences, and I still have a lot of stiffness and soreness when I get out of bed each morning.

I have, however, successfully managed to play hockey again since without exploding!

So, given that the 60k course will just be 2 laps of the 30k loop (that will essentially cover all of the open trail in the park - most of the Abes & Essens backpacking trail is still closed due to damage from the derecho and tornado in late spring of 2022 which cancelled last year's race), I think the right thing to do is drop to the 30k. I won't have to worry about time cutoffs or darkness, so I'll have plenty of time to enjoy the course and take loads of photos, and I will hopefully emerge a little less beat up at the other end.

It will be a mix of camp roads and really gnarly trails

We'll actually already be in the park by the time you read this - I'm writing in the car at midday on Thursday as we drive up, with hopes to get out for a paddle on Mazinaw Lake tomorrow (when the post is scheduled to publish) and maybe a hike of the Cliffside Trail. 

Which will also put our local trail views to shame, lovely as they are

All being well, I won't wear myself out or damage myself too much before the race, and then afterward I hope to be able to join Tank at Aid Station 1 at the head of the Shield Trail to cheer on those who are brave enough to take on a second lap of Bon Echo's rugged beauty.

Me, though? I've got a hockey game the next day..

..so I'll be taking it easy.

If you're one of the 250 of us lucky enough to have a spot in either the 10k, 30k, or 60k, I'll hope to see you out there! If not, I'll be back next week to tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!