Friday, June 18, 2021

En-June-ment

 Oh, June..

With your extra dramatic sunsets

I can't say that spring or summer is my favourite season, but I think June might actually be my favourite month.

Something I've only just realised - you'd think I'd have known!

Snow is finally a thing of the past, and you can peel off all the layers that can feel so restrictive during the colder months. 


You can often find some natural accessories for an outfit, too

You'll seldom have to worry about getting chilled after a run, either, so can forego needing to bring along a change of clothes if you're running place-to-place.


Though I do recommend a change of shoes if you go for a cool-down dip at the end

I love that there are flowers everywhere..

Along the trailsides


Carpeting the riverbanks



In the catwalks


Even in gardens around the city, helping our native pollinators as they do their important work

The air is scented with ever-changing flower fragrances: first the lilacs and lily of the valley, then phlox and peonies, and on to roses and clover and blossom-laden trees.


I have no idea what this is, but it smells divine!

The trees that don't burst forth with luscious petals - or that have already dropped them - stretch canopies of leaves overhead to shelter you from the scorching sun.


Nothing more pleasant than some cooling shade on a hot day.


Once barren-looking, monotone brown trails explode into a riot of green.


This was nothing much to look at  a bare few weeks before.


With it still being spring until the latter third of the month, you can feel the whole summer stretching out in front of you, full of possibilities. 



Though I'm not sure anyone will enjoy it quite as much as Esme


The best part of all (as long as you're not a goofy kitty who just wants to wriggle in the grass), though?

It's the start of TRAIL SNACK SEASON!


Awww, yiss!


I was just bopping along a trail I'd only recently come to know, and was midway down a steep hill when I dug in my heels to come to a screeching halt. I'd spotted that patch above and needed to investigate more thoroughly. Sure enough - hundreds of perfectly ripe, wild strawberries!

I only ate 4, but you can bet I'll be back for more!


The raspberries along the singletrack to the pollinator preserve - not to mention the ones that suddenly showed up in our backyard last year - are coming along nicely, and should be ready for mid-run munching within a week or so. As the summer presses on, I hope to get myself further north or to higher elevations where I might find wild blueberries as well!

In the meantime, you'll find me with a flower in my hat, just eating my way around the landscape..


..and completely unable to wipe that smile off my face.


The solstice is this Sunday, so happy summer to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!