Friday, December 7, 2018

Mild and Muddy

I have a whole lot to whine about right now, but I'm not going to do that - it does no good to complain.

Instead, let me tell you about a slice of happiness I found last weekend.



I hadn't been out for a trail run since The Beav - apart from lack of time and the early darkness, I was trying to be nice to my still-sore ankle and was keeping it to even, non-technical surfaces.

The puppy inside me wanted to go play and explore, though, so last Sunday I finally went for a romp in a place I'd never been before - Snyder's Flats.

It had rained most of the prior 24hrs so it was a touch wet.

Double track or double stream?

..but it was also unseasonably warm. December the 2nd, and there I was comfortably trotting around in a skirt and light shirt!

WHEEEEEE

Having forgotten my GPS watch (d'oh!), I simply ran around exploring. From the maps I had seen there was enough trail to do about 6k, which was all I really wanted.

Relatively straightfoward.

What I didn't know is that only about half of the bits of singletrack in the former gravel pit are actually laid out on the map - the satellite view gives a bit better impression:

Though I don't think even this shows all of the little bunny paths.

I started out on gravelly doubletrack, but soon found my way to the pond at the northeast and the muddy singletrack that runs between it and the Grand River.

Definitely more interesting than the wide-open gravel field

Shoes were gaining a pound with each step

As I looked over the pond, I saw that the mild air had led to some of the ice melting, and a fascinating cloud of mist hovering just over the surface.


Always such a neat sight

The trails I followed were certainly not frozen, though - I'm glad I wore wool socks, as there was definitely some puddle jumping going on!


SPLURP SPLURP SPLURP

The flat terrain had me thinking that this would be a fabulous place to bring our cross-country skis once there's enough snow to safely cover all the gravel.


Though it's not without a bit of flood-carved contour.

I ran along the river toward the setting sun, delighted by this stolen moment of autumn amid the awful winter weather we'd been having.


Certainly not very December-ish.

As I neared the end of my run, I found myself having to stop more often to gape at the incredible sunset unfolding before me.


This deserves a moment of its own.

I knew from the time that I'd arrived I wouldn't have much time to explore, but I was able to run almost all of the trails in less than three quarters of an hour, even counting the time I spent standing still to absorb the tranquility of the fading light over the water.


I missed a few bits here and there, but not very much.
Full Endomondo data is here


Just what I needed.

I had to return to the world of unpleasant chores, frustration and doubts upon leaving, but for forty three glorious minutes I was just another wild animal frolicking on a beautiful evening.



Happy girl.

I have no idea when I'll be able to get out for another taste of the glorious freedom I felt that evening, but I sincerely wish you all a similarly joyful experience before this year is up. Carve out a bit of time, then go out and play!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!