Friday, December 28, 2018

Bye Felicia

2018 was not a good year.

I'm just going to let it flow away, like the Speed River here.

I was in the best running shape of my life at the start of the year: kicking some arse in the 100 runs in 100 days challenge; had a solid go at the Stride Inside 6-hour and a beautiful day at the Frosty Trail 3-hour in January; and I'd had fun at Clay Williams' Valentine's Fatazz on the Saturday of Family Day weekend. With 294.5km of running in January and 99.7km in the first 10 days of February, I was building the foundation of a strong year of racing.


Victoria Park bridge all lit up


Then, as I sought some more laughs by going snowboarding the day after the Fatazz, I ripped my season to shreds. My right ankle was rent asunder, and the only reason I ended up breaking 100km for February would be a 3 minute run that I definitely should not have done on the 27th - just 16 days after wrecking myself.

March was a rebuilding process. I managed to run 2km on the 10th, 8.7km the following week (over 2 runs), then 17.5km the week after that (in 3 runs). By the week ended April 1st I was up to 4 runs and 28.3km for the week, but my total for the whole month was a measly 49.9km.

The other bridges in Victoria Park are lit up as well

April brought more building - I got up to 46.7km for the week ended April 15th - but also more destruction. A wind and ice storm blew down a tree in our backyard, crushing our shed and resulting in a $1,400 purchase of a new one (in boxes needing to be built). Running on the crust of ice over the snow that had fallen led to me knocking my right fibula out of place, which once again decimated my run training. I spent the next 7 weeks in agony, but trying to run through it anyway as I had races coming. I'd manage 119.3km for the month, though the final 3 weeks would only account for 34.8km of that (13.2k, 8.7k, 12.9k).

In May, we got the destroyed shed taken apart, but not until after another windstorm blew down the OTHER tree in the backyard. The final tally for tree removal ran us $1,000, and the yard is still strewn with giant lumps of trunk that need to meet the business end of our chainsaw. My fibula was still causing problems as I lined up at the start of the Seaton Soaker 50k, which was actually 52k this year. By the first turn-around at 13km I knew I was in poor shape and should call it, but I did actually end up going out for the second lap before DNF'ing for the first time in an ultra. At least I was still able to go backpacking for Victoria Day with Tanker, and then have the unique opportunity to guide a visually impaired runner through a lap at Sulphur Springs. By the end of the month I'd only managed to run 84.3km.


Impressive lights display in the rich neighbourhood up the street

It wasn't until June that I'd find a chiropractor to help me sort out the wayward fibula, just in time for the Niagara Ultra 50k. I actually made it through that one, though I definitely would have DNF'd had I attempted to run the 100k (for which I'd originally registered). As I recovered after the race, we actually managed to get our new shed built and reclaim our backyard a little. I ran a total of 126.0km - my best since hurting myself.

July started off with an awesome camping trip at Long Point, and I got to spend my birthday climbing a mountain as we toured through Quebec on our motorycles. While those things were incredibly fun, they severely hampered getting in any consistent, high-quality training...which I desperately needed prior to the Tally in the Valley 12-hour night race, especially as I dealt with mounting fatigue and health issues I couldn't explain. I struggled my way through 150.6km of running - 70km of which was just Tally in the Valley - and hoped it would resolve.


Swans on the Grand River near downtown Galt

During 2 weeks off running after Tally, Tanker and I ventured out again into the wild for a few days of backcountry paddling for our anniversary in August. When we returned and I tried to get back down to the business of running again, it became clear that there was something very wrong with me. On August 19th I finally figured out I'd gotten pregnant (the day after the Niagara Ultra 50k), and on August 23rd I underwent an abortion. Two days later I struggled through a single 7km lap of the OUTRace 30th Anniversary Fun Run. Through the end of the month I just worked on getting some consistency back as I healed, but my total for the month was back down to a mere 70.9km.

September was better in all ways: my ankle was still improving, my energy levels started to make a comeback, and I got back to consistent training...after taking a week to recover from the effects of a very long day and night (and following morning) on my feet at Haliburton, guiding a runner through the final leg of his first 100 miler. Despite that week of only 13.4km, I still put in my biggest month by far since my injury, breaking 100 miles in 30 days with a final total of 162.1km.

And getting to run through some much-less-snowy woods.

October was BUSY. After the first weekend spent racing the Sticks n'Stones 50k (which we all know is actually 53k), we packed up and headed up to Killarney for an incredible few days of camping and hiking. I didn't run at all until we got home again, so another low mileage week at 11.7km. One more week of actual training, then it was time for my annual bout with the big stinkin' hill at Horror Trail - with added mud and cold, cold rain this time. Still, because I raced two ultras in the month, I bested my post-injury monthly mileage once more with 182.6km. We also got a kitten!


The dome of old City Hall in Victoria Park

November is sort of where the wheels came off again. I knew that trying to race 3 ultras in 5 weeks was a little ambitious, but signed up for Horror Trail anyway knowing it would only give me 2 weeks to recover before The Beav 50k. I hadn't known just how much of a beating my ankles would take in the awful mud at Horror Trail, though, and that meant I went into the brutally cold, windy morning of The Beav with a great deal of fear. I made it through, despite my shoes trying to fall apart and some uncooperative spikes, then went into my off season with hopes of resting and recuperating before the start of the 100 runs in 100 days challenge. Those hopes were rather derailed by the discovery of mould in our house - likely a result of the humid summer, wet fall, and our lack of ductwork/central heat/air conditioning. I was plagued by headaches that lasted for weeks - whether a result of the mould itself or the stress of my home being invaded, I don't know - and would spend hours each day that were supposed to be "recovery" scrubbing and spraying and throwing out everything from clothes to furniture. Our finances took a hit as we had to purchase a large-capacity dehumidifier (in hopes of keeping future problems at bay) and a new coffee table (as the old one was unsalvageable). I'd still get in 134.4km of running, but it certainly wasn't the off season I had in mind.



I'd rather spend more time like this - out in the woods with my sweetheart.

I did, however, somehow pull off 6th place in the Women <40 age group of the OUTRace Ultra Series! A far cry from 2nd place last year, but not too shabby for being gimpy throughout the entire OUTRace season.

Unexpected!


The mould and financial woes continued into December, though, with the discovery of mould in more and more areas of the house and our car requiring over $650 of service in the last 2 weeks, plus Tanker's employer screwing him out of more than a day's pay. To top it all off, my ankle has developed a new issue - I think more in my achilles tendon than the tibialis posterior (which had been the major issue previously) - that is taking a great deal of time to resolve.


We did get a white Christmas, though, and I did my traditional Christmas morning run with my sleigh bells.


On the bright side, though, as the year draws to a close I believe things are starting to improve. We have the worst of the mould under control and continue to make progress, bit by bit and day by day. We are finally starting to get our finances under control, thanks in part to an unexpected Christmas gift. With the 100 runs in 100 days challenge having started on the 15th, I've been training more consistently in the past couple of weeks than I have all year - I'm at 16 runs in 13 days, with the 17th to be done this evening on day 14. Having already racked up 175.8km for the month, I'm confident I can break 200km for December, which will be only the second month this year in which I've done so. I won't break 1,700km for the year (I'm just over 1,650k right now), but I'm on my way back.


Which will help me work off all of this - we did have a lovely Christmas dinner with my Mum.

I don't know exactly what 2019 will hold - either in running or life in general - but I definitely hope it will have fewer challenges than 2018. Unfortunately, I already know it will start with some difficulty, as Tanker will be going for surgery on January 7th and will be weak as a kitten for a great deal of time afterward. I'll lose my driver for work - and thus the naps on which I rely so heavily - and add a source of worry as I try to help him through his recovery, while I try to manage recovering myself from the Stride Inside 6-hour on January 5th and enter my busiest time of year at the office.

All I know for sure is that if I can make it through 2018 still standing, I can take on just about anything..

As long as I have my sweetheart by my side.

Wishing you all a very happy new year - may 2019 bring you peace in your mind, joy in your heart, and prosperity for your home and family.


And if it doesn't, come on over and give Fionn the Fuzzy a tickle.
It helps - I promise.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, a happy 2019 to you and Tanker. I hope you set some challenging goals for the coming year and trounce them!

    Second, some training advice based on my experience. Please take it in the spirit it is offered. Feel free to disregard. As always, YMMV.
    294.5k in Jan! That's a lot of k. If that was me, I'd be heading for an overuse injury. And I've had them too; strained achilles and plantar fasciitis. Both took a long time to heal and I felt at the time I would never run normally again. You too will recover.
    So my advice is to put some rest days into you week. Right now I'm just running 3 days a week and swimming 3 days. Train with a purpose. Change it up a lot. As the saying goes, run your short runs hard and your long runs easy. 100 runs in a 100 days is fun idea but is it really good training or good for your body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neil - best wishes for an incredible 2019, though this year will be tough for you to top I'm sure!
      In the 10yrs that I've been an endurance athlete, I've had my best injury resistance when running 6 days per week. There's some decent rationale behind it: rather than trying to cram 50+km per week into 3 runs, I spread that mileage out over shorter bouts that are less damaging. A slow, easy 5k a couple of times a week in cushy shoes gets the blood flowing to clear waste products and promote recovery. I do almost always take Fridays off running - I usually walk on my lunch (~3k) instead - and I pay a lot of attention to recovery techniques like cold/hot contrast, elevating my legs, self-massage, professional massage therapy during race season, and eating a very high quality diet (lots of vegetables & fruit; ginger, turmeric, cinnamon to fight inflammation; not much in the way of meat, processed foods or sugary stuff outside of long training/racing). I don't take painkillers, so it's not like I'm masking issues - I listen pretty carefully to what my body says, and my running thrives on high mileage and frequency. I felt *amazing* after that 294k last January, which included both Stride Inside 6-hour and Frosty Trail 3-hour in a fortnight.
      I won't be running 100 days straight: the rules are each run must be at least 30mins, and must be separated by at least 1hr. I do some double days to make up for days off and to add mileage - the second run almost always feels better than the first does, which is counterintuitive but seriously helpful for motivation when trying to kick my arse out for another 5k in the Freezing dark after work when I've already run 5k on my lunch break. I did 10k first thing this morning then another 6k this evening: the morning was a struggle bus mess after a very rare Friday run last night (7k), but even on a pitch dark trail I flowed through this evening's run. I'd be in much worse shape if I'd just tried to run 16km this morning!
      We're all a little different, and I'm glad you've found a training plan that clearly works very well for you. I'm working back to the mileage I want to get in (with a view to a future 100 miler; that's where I was headed last Jan/Feb before wrecking my ankle, but Hali was not to be in 2018), and 8 runs/week gets me 40+km even doing the bare minimum that counts for the challenge...while also being pretty easy to accomplish and having a fairly low recovery cost!

      Delete
    2. Oh, one other thing that helps: I seldom run in the same model of shoe - let alone the same pair - twice in a week. Running as much trail as possible in order to vary footstrike helps a lot as well; though I do by necessity run more than 75% of my workouts on road, that typically accounts for 50% or less of my weekly mileage.

      Delete

Go on, have at me!