Friday, April 21, 2023

Freak Streak

 If you've been here for any length of time, you'll know - I don't do run streaks.

I'm big and heavy and have all the grace of a three-legged rhinoceros trying surfing for the first time

Sometimes, though, the rest day Friday has just got to be thrown out the window - for a good cause.

I'd just come off 3 full days off running, though I can't say the last two had been particularly restful: I was bruised and sore from a weekend of goalball and hockey, and hadn't got much sleep. Tank had his final follow up with the fracture clinic Monday evening, though, so I went with him and ran while he was in his appointment (partly so I could park the car somewhere other than the hospital, saving us about $15 per hour).

#1

Tuesday was a late one, but I bopped out to the little stone bridge in Blair along the well-lit multi-use path.

#2

Wednesday I needed to head to the office, and the weather forecast was not looking super bueno. With my usual luck, I managed to get out just in time for some of the hardest heckin' rain of the whole day, and since it was supposed to be 17c, I only had shorts. Plot twist: it was 8 degrees.

#3 - didn't die

Now here's where it all went weird: this was the week of Easter, so I had Friday off work. Just before the end of the day on Thursday, my friend Gee messaged me to say she was doing the Goggins 4x4x48 challenge, starting that night! I've done it before (well, approximately), and I know it was a grind for me even having Tank to help me out with stuff. Gee has recently moved into her own apartment near the office, an hour away from her family, so I wanted to offer some support. I knew she'd be ok the first night (especially as she planned to run the overnight legs on the treadmill in her apartment's gym), but that the second night would be tougher. I offered to run the 10pm Friday leg with her, as I knew Saturday was already going to be a busy day for us and wasn't sure I could fit in another 4mi then. She gratefully accepted, and I did 4mi for her once I finished up late that evening.

#4

Tank and I got out for a lovely hike (that I swear I didn't know was going to be almost 5km) on Friday afternoon, and I worked some stuff out: Gee's last run would be 2pm Saturday, which - if I could nail the timings - would mean I could probably just barely manage that last run with her, or at least to be there for her finish. I spent some time crafting a makeshift medal for her, then headed out to her apartment to run leg number 8 of 12 with her under a beautiful full moon.

#5

Saturday brought lots of sun but a distinct chill for my usual run down to the market, made extra pretty as the singletrack (which closes from November through March to protect the bald eagles that overwinter there) was back open.

#6

I changed into fresh running kit (I'm a pro at changing in my car), took Tank on a lightning trip through the market, then bopped home to put our groceries away real quick before jetting off to Gee's apartment.

After picking up some necessary items

We got there with about 20mins until the start of her last run, and I sent a text from the parking lot.

I might have neglected to tell her I was coming, in case I couldn't make it

We had lovely sunshine for a nice cruise along Cherry Creek and through Victoria Park. Gee was moving incredibly well - much better than I had been at the end of the challenge!

#7 - I'm so proud of her!

Tank was waiting with the cowbell when we got back to her apartment, ringing it like crazy as Gee ran in the last few metres. 

I just barely managed a burst to get up ahead of her to get a finish line photo

Then of course we presented her with her medal, and plenty of congratulations.

Oh, and a chocolate bunny for my chocoholic friend - it was Easter, after all!

Another change in my car in the parking lot (we wanted Gee to get herself some good sleep so sent her on up to her flat), then a tactical grocery store stop as they'd be closed the next day for Easter Sunday, and then we had to do the quickest of turn-arounds to get everything packed away at home and jet down to the Hammer for the evening's festivities.

Saturday night shinny FTW!

After about 19km of running and 90mins of hockey on Saturday, I was feeling a bit worse for wear by Sunday. Still, it was 9c and gloriously sunny out, so I headed to a nearby trail for a very easy perambulate.

#8

Monday was back to business as usual: lift in the morning, work far too late, then bop out for a run in the dark.

#9

Tuesday was Monday on repeat, except warmer - even after dark, it was the first comfortable t-shirt and shorts run of the year!

#10

While I'm grateful for the well-lit multi-use path at the bottom of the hill I live on, it's definitely not the most interesting place to run, so I was pleased when I managed to get away from my desk a little earlier on Wednesday to run in daylight and on a slightly more scenic trail.

#11

Thursday brought the final day of the streak, as I had every intention of taking my usual Friday off running. While it was just another dark trot around my neighbourhood, this one was a little special as it was the first time this year I've had company for a mid-week run!

#12 - and done!

Due to constraints of time (and - let's face it - body), the mileage over those 11 days was not exactly spectacular: I put down about 87km/54mi, for an average of 7.9km/4.9mi per day or 7.25km/4.5mi per run. Nonetheless, it felt like a solid block, and I resumed my usual Saturday-to-Thursday running thereafter; I'm now over 135km for April, which is a little less than I'd like, as I'll probably be taking another full weekend off running for another tournament.

On ice, this time

Speaking of which - you can still donate to the fundraiser that this tournament is in aid of, and help to fund cancer research to develop new treatments and preventative measures, plus invaluable community-based supports for people living with cancer and their families. Any amount helps, and is so greatly appreciated! Please click here to donate through the secure online site.

..and wish me luck, ok?

Our games are 9pm Friday, 10:15am & 2:15pm Saturday, and one more on Sunday (TBD depending on our position after the round-robin games). I've actually been playing in advance of this year's tourney (unlike last year), so hopefully I won't make too much of a fool of myself, or let down my team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!