Friday, January 20, 2023

Polar opposite

 Hey guess what?

Chicken butt?

Nope - IT'S RACING TIME AGAIN!

The last time Polar Paws took place - on Bonus Day in 2020 - it was the very last in-person race that happened in Ontario for almost a year and a half.

..and the woods looked very similar to this.

It was held in the Durham Forest on a day that would see a high temperature of -8c/18f, the morning after a massive dump of snow.

Not half so well-trodden as this - it was a tough day!

Tomorrow's race will be in a new location - one to which I've never been before.

New trails to explore!

However - far from the deep freeze of the 2020 race - things are looking decidedly mild.


A little breezy, but definitely less frosty

The trails, too, are likely to be bereft of snow.

Completely unlike this


We were graced with just enough last weekend to make things beautiful around KW (though not quite enough to snowshoe run or nordic ski), but it's all gone and melted in the mild weather since.

No more tunnels of snow-laden branches through which to amble

It anything it's likely to get muddy, what with the sun shining on the bare trails after some rain this week.

I will enjoy getting a bit of sunshine, though!
It's been in short supply lately


I haven't run more than 11km at a go since late fall, so I've no idea how things will hold up through 25k, but I've got a couple of baggies full of cookies to munch on while I check out the new course.


What more could I really need?

See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!