Friday, February 4, 2022

Any given Saturday

 For some years now, the vast majority of my Saturday mornings have started in roughly the same way.

Though the conditions vary quite wildly

The most recent one was both mundane and exceptional, so for no good reason I'm going to walk you through it.

Step 1: Open eyes, check weather

Step 2: Resist the urge to burrow down into blankets and not emerge until May

Step 3: Get up, get dressed, braid the hair to keep it the heck out of the way 

That's two wool shirts, wooly tights, and a pair of insulated shorts I'm testing (review to come soon)
Not messing around at those temperatures.

Step 4: Pack armload of clothing and outerwear into a bag so I have warm things to change into.

Insulated skirt, down jacket, sweatpants, an alpaca wool sweater, a pair of insulated slip-on shoes, and a fleece toque (along with a face mask, of course)

Step 5: Make a hot post-run meal

A really good thermos (or several) is something every runner should own.
Soup is also an option, but I love my Saturday morning oatmeal!

Step 6: Pack post-run meal

Nestling the thermos in the middle of the clothing means any escaped heat will warm my clothes.
I put the spoon in a reusable zippered snack bag after using it to stir the oatmeal.


Step 7: Pre-run fueling

Nothing like a hot cup of strong tea and a slice of toast to stiffen that upper lip.
Butter the whole thing, then add blackcurrant jam on half.

Step 8: Prepare run hydration

I usually use plain water, but sport drink will help prevent the bottle from freezing.

Note: the easiest way I've found to mix sport drink powder in those non-free-standing soft bottles is to 

  • Open the canister and lay the lid upside down as shown
  • Fill the scoop and set it on the canister lid in case of spillage
  • Get out a funnel
  • Fill the soft bottle part way so the funnel doesn't get splashed when adding powder
  • Insert the funnel as shown, holding the bottle by the rigid shoulders
  • Dump the scoop of powder into the funnel and tap the side to ensure it all slides through
  • Set the funnel aside and top up the bottle with water
  • Screw on the cap of the bottle and shake to blend the powder
I also put the bottle in the back pocket of my jacket to give it the best chance to stay warm/prevent freezing.

Step 9 (optional): Have run hydration inspected

Then kick the fuzzy little jerkball off the counter

Step 10: One more weather check

Yes, I've dawdled a bit. You think I'm in any hurry to get out in that?
(-11f with "feels like" of -22f for those who don't Celsius)

Step 11: Adding warmth

Tendons and ligaments are more fragile in the cold 

Note: I've found it tough to source comfortable running socks with thick uppers, so I created a solution by cutting off a pair of Tank's old boot socks at the heel seam. Worn backwards with the remaining heel section tucked under the tongue of my shoe, they add lots of warmth and protection - mini leg warmers! They also help immensely for us long-legged folks whose socks may not always meet up with the bottom of their tights.

Step 12: Add shoes and traction

The mix of road and trail on my Saturday morning jaunts makes microspikes a poor choice, but I've found that screw shoes don't have adequate grip on glare ice below -10c/14f, so I threw on my new ExoSpikes (review to come soon)


Step 13: Dress the upper body, and go!

That's a vented softshell cycling jacket, fleece-lined softshell mittens, a nylon brimmed cap, a merino wool tubular gaiter folded into an earband, another merino wool tubular gaiter worn over face and neck, and a dollar store LET IT SNOW toque over the whole business

Step 14: Down the hill and around the bend

I'm so grateful they built a multi-use path here - it used to just be open shoulder, quite narrow in places, and traffic was often somewhat less than accommodating

Step 15: Over the Grand River

With hoar frost in the trees, and a flotilla of ducks in the open water

I think this is the most ice coverage I've ever seen by the Blair bridge!
The line of dark lumps by the edge of the ice is a flock of Canada geese

Step 16: Through Blair

I'm grateful for the work that was done to ensure this trail doesn't turn into a sheet of flooded ice anymore

Across the footbridge and up the hill - hup hup hup!

Step 17: Down Blair Road

The paved multi-use trail sections are a huge reason why I don't use microspikes for this route - 4.5k out of the first 5km are on pavement

Step 18: Dive into the woods!

Road and trail diverge as the multi-use path ends

Deer are frequent users of this trail, as are coyotes and many other wetland and woodland creatures

Step 19: Drink in the beauty

I've seen this in every season and every weather condition, and I never cease to be grateful to have such a wondrous space so close to my home

I think it was the first trail I ever ran, and I never tire of my weekly visits!

I've feels like visiting an old friend every time

Step 20: Stop by to visit Devil's Creek Falls

Assuming it's not completely frozen over and covered in snow!

Even the big main falls were silent and still beneath a layer of ice extending all the way down their canyon

Step 21: Down the switchbacks

Past the Cambridge Heart Fossil (which I've never been able to spot), looking upriver over a solid sheet of snow-covered ice

Step 22: The lower trail

Cruising just a few feet above river level now, into that gorgeous sun

Looking frosty but feeling toasty!

Step 23: Emerge into Riverbluffs Park

The end of the trail, with the peak of the Cambridge Rowing Club/Ancient Mariners Canoe Club just visible through the trees

Uphill to the rail bridge over the open river - watch the potholes in the dirt driveway

Step 24: Across the river once more, into downtown Galt

Looking upriver over the dam from the Park Hill bridge

Step 25: Arrive at city hall

A little light post-run stretching


Also time to inspect any ice buildup that may have occurred

Step 26: Eat the oatmeal, get changed, and hit the farmers' market for our groceries for the week!

Pro tip: pack along a plastic bag or two to contain the sweaty gear you strip off, plus another for your snowy, salty running shoes

..then go home and have brunch, and get ready to run again in the afternoon! 

Chasing the last of the sunshine

With another extreme cold warning just gone into effect, it looks like it'll be the same again tomorrow morning...but I know that it will be its own, unique experience as well. Do you have a favourite routine you enjoy on a weekly (or some other) basis? I'd love to hear all about it, or your own tricks for running in winter as comfortably as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!