Friday, March 20, 2020

Where are we going

..and why am I in this handbasket?

At least the view is nice sometimes.

Events are cancelled. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the world are ill. There are shortages caused by greed, and breathtaking acts of generosity and goodwill.


There's a lot going on.

The trails emerged from the snowpack just in time to be submerged in meltwater along the Grand River.


Erhm..


It's supposed to be a trail, not a tributary.


A lot of flood damage has been done, at a time when no level of government is going to devote the tiniest amount of effort to their repair.


It's a very different-looking world than it was just a couple of weeks ago.

It's stressful and difficult, particularly knowing that the worst is still ahead. My boss refuses to let me work from home (despite it being easily managed, and in fact offered to me in the past), and is talking about having to close down the office for awhile, potentially putting me out of work entirely. 



..and some of the trails have got awfully narrow.


I don't know if I'm doing enough, and I don't really know for sure if I'm doing the right things, apart from washing my hands and sanitizing all the high-touch places I encounter. With the possibility of lockdown or the need to quarantine, I'm trying to prepare for something like a camping trip to nowhere, but of unknown duration and with shortages of various things I'd like to bring along. 


I don't have a pandemic pack list.
Yet.

I don't know how this will all turn out, or what our lives will look like once we come through.

All I know is that I have to keep moving. 

I may not have any races coming, but I'll be out there running. It may be away from my worries, or it may be to find joy on the trails. 


Most likely some combination of the two.

I wish you all good health and good luck for yourselves and those you love. Take care of your bodies and minds the best ways you know how, and try to remember that there is always room for hope and kindness.

We have to bloom where we're planted.


Be well - wash your hands!


2 comments:

  1. I said to a friend this morning, we're training for something, just don't know what yet.
    Be well indeed.
    See you at Sulphur hopefully. Fingers crossed. Well washed fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see Sulphur happening, but I do hope we get to share a trail together soon - be well!

      Delete

Go on, have at me!