Friday, August 9, 2019

High (mileage) hopes

This summer hasn't gone exactly as I'd hoped.

Which is not to say it hasn't been pretty awesome.

I had planned to get in so many more long training runs, and so many more high-mileage weeks. It wasn't for lack of desire - I love the multi-hour explorations of beautiful places, seeing what I can find and taking a million photographs along the way.

Like the light catching a far off limestone cliff..


..or a sketchy, overgrown pathway that leads to a stunning cascade.

The problem is that my body has been letting me down. I've taken more recovery time than I thought I'd need from some early-season races, been getting less sleep and working more hours than ever, and had a couple of niggling injuries that have made it irresponsible to consider a 4-hour solo ramble through the Hydrocut or Hockley Valley.


Not that I can't catch a root and mess myself up on a shorter run..

It's not that I have no long runs in - between the Sulphur Spring 50k, 100k at Sunburn Solstice, and 43k at Tally in the Valley 6-hour, I've managed to get some long work done. It should be enough to maintain the long-term endocrine system adaptations that only come with running 4+ hours, and with Tally only 2 weeks ago it's reasonable to think I'm still recovering from it a bit.


While still going and exploring some fun stuff, like the caves at Rockwood on civic Holiday

..and I do mean exploring, not just having a look from the outside.

The consistency has been there - I took 9 days off after Sunburn Solstice (when I thought I might have a stress fracture in my left foot; 281km of running on it later, I'm pretty sure I don't) and 3 days off after Tally in the Valley, but otherwise I've been out grinding 6 days a week for...well...the entire year so far.


..and getting some cross-training in here and there.

With only 2 weeks left until an undertaking so huge it's terrifying to contemplate, though, I find myself wondering if it'll all be enough. I see other people doing so much more to prepare for similar events, and can't help but think I've set myself up for failure.

Still, when it comes down to it, I've trained as much as I felt I could without compromising the health of my body, my brain, and my marriage (at least I hope).


We definitely have had some fun as a couple!

So now, as I prepare to head out on a new adventure, all I can do is hope that the fitness I've built is enough to sustain me through the trials that lay ahead.


Which promise great beauty, but also massive challenges.


There's only one way to find out..


4 comments:

  1. Go get that buckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your year sounds a lot like mine. Annoying injury, forced time off. I've had to run less, slower and more deliberate. Which I figure is a perfect strategy for a 100 miler. So I'm signing for Hali. I'll make you a deal, you get your buckle and I'll get mine. :)

    btw, Not a huge fan of lens flare but the cross-training pic is a candidate for pic of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Neil! I have no doubts you'll do amazing at Haliburton - I'm so happy I'll be at AS5 all day and all night to see you rock on through! Hopefully I'll have something shiny at my waist to show off there so I can keep up my end of the deal.

      Delete

Go on, have at me!