Friday, November 27, 2020

Snowbrush

Winter came for a visit.


..in a big way.

Saturday we didn't have a single flake - the trails were actually quite dull-looking, with all the leaves down. It was overcast and dreary, so everything was cast in browns and greys.


It wasn't the most inspiring landscape, but still better than not being in the woods.


Overnight, that all changed - we woke up Sunday to a winter wonderland!


And a sudden burning need to get our snow tires on..


With temperatures right around the freezing point, the thick, fluffy flakes drifted down and clung to every twig. It was supposed to keep it up all day, too! I managed to find a garage that would change up wheels for us (we have our seasonal tires already mounted on rims, so it's a quick job - could have done it in our driveway, but not without quite a lot of cold and damp at this point), and quickly got into some running kit so I could go run through a part of the city in which I've spent very little time.


I even found a tiny stretch of singletrack!


There was almost noone about - it was just me and the ducks in Soper Park as the snow came down in the early afternoon.



I was seriously outnumbered by waterfowl.


The timing worked out perfectly; Tank finished up at the garage just minutes before I returned, then we headed home for a late brunch...with much improved traction!

The snow kept on coming down, steadily blanketing the world in fluffy white robes.


There's nothing quite like the silence of a heavy snowfall


I stayed very local for my second run, hitting the Linear Trail just across the river a few minutes from home.


I had wondered if a groomed, crushed gravel trail would have enough coverage for my purposes, but even with some slushy bits it was fine.


Our later start to our day meant I headed out just as the sun fell below the horizon - not that we'd seen it all day through the heavy cloudcover - so I got to experience the magical glow of a snowy trail after dark, for the first time this season.


No headlamp required - it's just the best.


It wasn't my only "first" of the season, either; the snow had fallen heavily enough that I cracked out my big foamy snowshoes for their first outing since February!


Wheeeeeeeeeee!



It wasn't easy - it never is. The heaviness of the snow - almost totally untracked through most of the trail - meant I had to adopt a run/walk interval strategy even on flat ground. 


I didn't, however, stop to sit on any benches - I don't think anyone will be using this one for awhile!


I worked up an absolutely legendary blister (ripped off a chunk of skin the size of a quarter from my heel), got soaked with sweat and snow, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'll be a little more careful about which shoes I wear (and how careful I am about cinching them down) in future, but it really was a blast!

The aftermath remained through the early part of the week, when I'm only really able to run around my neighbourhood.


I got to meet some fun new neighbors, though!


By Tuesday the sidewalks were completely clear, and I could enjoy the beauty of the snow while not having to worry about my footing.




But alas, it wasn't to last - the rain on Wednesday struck a fatal blow, and mild temperatures on Thursday meant that all that lovely snow disappeared into thin air.


I never even managed to get a cross-country ski in!

It certainly was fun while it lasted, though, and I hope we'll see more snowy days this winter. If it's going to be chilly, you might as well be able to enjoy the best that winter has to offer!


I always dream of a white Christmas!

In other news, I'll finally finish my space mission tomorrow - the 100 in 100 might be continuing through February, but Sputnik shall be mine before Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!