Friday, November 20, 2020

Keep it 100

..even if it's a tad earlier than usual.


I'm still not sure how to feel about this.

Yeah, that's right - off season is over. All 6 days of it, post-MREAH. I can't even say I took more than my usual Friday off, but I did take it pretty easy; just bodyweight strength work during the week (and pretty easy at that), and my runs were slow and short. I even got in for a massage on Saturday after running down to the market!


Still not used to freezing mornings but the sunshine was lovely

A motorcycle ride in the afternoon, and pleasant evening with my sweetheart - the calm before the storm.

Literally.

It hosed down rain on Sunday morning, with blustery winds that were predicted to just keep increasing. After hemming and hawing about what I wanted to do first, I got out around half past one to hit the RARE singletrack - I had seen the day before that it hadn't been closed for the season yet (but I only had time to do the main rail trail then), and wanted to get one more look in before it became unavailable til spring.


There had already been some pretty significant damage, at least since the prior week

The wind and rain weren't too bad as I meandered down through the sodden forest, though streams were flowing that usually only appear during the spring melt.


My feet haven't got wet here in months!


I emerged at the switchbacks by the Cambridge heart fossil, and could literally watch the gusts of wind whip upriver.

I also saw a bald eagle perched on a rock near the opposite bank

As I hit the pollinator preserve, though, things turned ugly - the rain picked up and was blown straight into my face, then suddenly a flash and BOOM! An explosion of thunder, very close by. Thoroughly freaked out and in a highly exposed area, I straight-up sprinted toward my car as torrents of water lashed down from the sky.


Didn't want to get hit by lightning any more than I wanted to be hit by a falling tree!

I hit Riverbluffs park, seeing 6.55km on my watch...so, like an idiot, I decide I'll run a little out-and-back to make 6.66km. I turned at 6.61k as I heard what sounded like an approaching freight train; a massive gust of wind was headed straight for me, and it was only by luck (and having left the driver's door unlocked) that I was able to jump into my car and slam the door shut before it struck.


That was a little too close.

The only nice part was that after it passed (while I ate a banana in my wind-rocked car), I was able to see the lovely little seasonal waterfall tucked away in the corner of Riverbluffs Park.


Silver linings and all

As I drove home, I saw the destruction wrought by the storm - tree debris all over the driveway of the park, two downed pine trees on George Street, and even a branch at least 2.75" thick broken and laying in the driveway just 2 doors up from our house.


There was a second tree blocking the same side of the road about 50 metres further on

I got home and made a late brunch, and discovered that gust had been so powerful that even my mum had felt it - more than 70km away in Mississauga - because she called to see if we were doing ok. I said we were fine, but told her the tale of my narrow escape. I also promised to be careful when I went back out.


Because of course I was.

For some damn fool reason (I'm told there was a poll that I totally missed), the annual Slowtwitch 100 runs in 100 days challenge started a full month early this year - November 15th instead of December 15th, and since it wasn't a work day, I owed myself at least one more run. 

Thankfully, my husband is amazing. We had a couple of errands we wanted to take care of, but he was willing to drop me off and then wait while I ran a downwind (and - coincidentally - mostly downhill) point-to-point so I could get a second run in. This one would be on road, and we made sure I'd have street lights and sidewalk/multi use path for the whole way just to keep it as safe as possible.


Not quite as interesting as running in the woods, but it did feature a neat art installation and about 100% less chance of being hit by a falling tree.

As much as I'm not a fan of the early start to the 100 in 100 - I think it's ridiculous to have such a challenge end in late February, when there's still so much winter to go - it certainly should help me get my mileage in for the Space Out Virtual Race.


Which is going ok, but there are a shocking number of people already finished.

I don't have a numerical goal for this year: my only solid plan is to run more than once on every day I don't work, and maintain my Fridays off from running. Given the hot start that a lot of people have in the 100 in 100 I may not even be able to stay on the first page of the results, but I only really do the challenge for myself, so I won't concern myself with the doings of a bunch of type-A folks who may or may not be working through the pandemic's second wave. 


Just gonna do my thing.

If I get any doubles in on work days, those will be gravy, but since my new employer shuts down from Christmas Eve until January 2nd I should have a little more opportunity for multi-run days. I just hope I have the sense to back off if I need to during that time; the goal is more mileage and fitness, not another injury-riddled year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!