Friday, February 17, 2023

Just a Shoe Race

 I only registered for one snowshoe race this season.

The only local one since the demise of the Winter Goose Chase after 2020

The trails were looking great last weekend!

..though admittedly ice cleats would be invaluable in some places.

The snowy conditions even seemed to survive a beautiful, sunny afternoon for the annual Valentine's Fatazz.

I was only out for the last 2.5hrs - from about 2:30pm - and was grateful for my spikes

By Tuesday, though, things were patchy at best.

As much sloppy, slippery mud as there was ice and snow left

Anywhere fully sun exposed was completely bare

Tuesday and Wednesday were no help, either - the former was mild enough to wear knicks even after dark, and the latter saw me comfortably out at sunset in gusty winds...and shorts .

Not very February-ish

Thursday evening brought colder temperatures and precipitation, but not of any useful sort for snowshoe conditions.

Though my hat and jacket did gain some interesting features

A dusting of snow has mixed with the ice and a few flakes were falling as I walked through Downtown Kitchener earlier this evening, but it would take something rather more substantial to see me strapping on the ol' tennis rackets tomorrow morning.

I can't say "something more dramatic" because it's inarguably very showy

Still, this is the first time I've had to face a snowshoe race that won't be - which is actually quite astonishing, given the capricious nature of Southern Ontario winters - and I can't help but be a little sad about that.

I had even trained and everything!

I will, nevertheless, be able to share some lovely trails with some wonderful friends, and there's a lot to be said for that.

My heart and lungs will probably be grateful to avoid the extra strain!

There's nothing saying I can't go run in snowshoes if winter does make its return, but in the meantime I can still go have fun in the woods - hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!