Friday, February 3, 2023

A week late

 So the winter trail race was rather missing the "winter" bit..

..but it arrived a few days later

I'm actually happy to see the snow return. It looks pretty layered on all the trees..

Whether day or night

It absorbs sounds, so you can slip silently through the forest..

..or just hear less of the traffic noise if you find a bit of urban singletrack

It reflects the light trapped by cloudcover in the city, so you can often get away without a headlamp for a run after dark.

Of course, some familiarity with the trail is a good idea before you try that

I rather enjoy sharing the activities that require snow with good company..

We seldom get to ski more than a handful of times per year, but I treasure every moment

..though some of the more vigorous ones I'm left to enjoy on my own.

Tank is somewhat less a fan of feeling like his heart is actually going to explode

..but I can occasionally find a friend on the trail.

Like this adorable little trailhead gatekeeper

Of course, the snow makes colours pop beautifully, too.

Even when the sun has gone to hide

..and it highlights interesting contours, even as it smooths out the trails.

This may actually be my spirit tree - dead, but still standing

I can't say I enjoy every single moment of winter.

Snow load on the trees is one thing, but on my face?

..but I know I'd be sad if I lived somewhere that I couldn't go for a wintry romp for at least a bit each year.

And I'd have fewer pals, too!

Stay warm out there folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!