Friday, October 11, 2019

It feels a bit odd..

..not to be racing Sticks n'Stones tomorrow.

End of an era? Nah, not really.

Despite having raced every Happy Trails event so far, I'm more than pleased to just be a volunteer tomorrow. I have been getting some training in, which is actually facilitated by not having races all the time to (try to) taper for. While I haven't decided yet whether or not I'll be taking Horror Trail at all seriously - I will definitely be in costume, but will let the weather and trail conditions dictate whether I'm trying for any sort of goal or just meandering in circles for 6 hours - I do know I need to get mileage in, especially since I went and registered for something absurd.


Runs trails for soft surfaces and lovely scenery - registers for 100 paved loops around a ball diamond.
Way to go, K.

Speaking of getting some mileage in, I will actually be doing some running this weekend...which will actually be decent training for "meh.", as it looks like I'll only be able to make the on-road portion of Job Runner Courier's 24hr walk/run for the Grand River Hospital Cancer Centre



I'm willing to forego scenery for a good cause!

You should definitely consider coming out for a lap or two of the course at either Huron Natural Area (6am-6pm on Saturday) or the road loop posted here from 6pm Saturday to 6am Sunday. If you're unable to attend to cheer on the folks going the full 24hrs, please make a donation at this link instead - any amount helps!

Totally unrelated photo to show that road running isn't totally without some nice sights.
(This is nowhere near the JRC GRHCC course)

While I won't be hitting the trails this weekend, I do hope that next week will afford some opportunities to see the fall colours.


Which definitely featured heavily on my Wednesday evening run.

We'll be off camping up on the Bruce Peninsula for our annual Campsgiving trip, and (despite some rather poor weather predictions) we have high aspirations for some hiking and running among the rocks and waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.


While Cooksville Creek is lovely, we have our sights set on some rather more impressive things.

So, you won't have to put up with my blitherings next week, as I'll most likely be trying to dry out a tent rather than spewing drivel on the internet. If that's not something for which you can be thankful, I don't know what is!

Hallelujah!

Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend - may your trousers still fit come Tuesday, and may you enjoy the company of those you love while being spared too much contact with any who darken your day. Be safe, show gratitude, and enjoy your indulgences!

Oh, and do consider making that donation by clicking here to support the Grand River Hospital Cancer Centre. They truly do their best to ensure that everyone will get another Thanksgiving, and to provide as much comfort as possible to those who are seeing their last.



4 comments:

  1. That marathon sounds amazingly horrible. I mean, that cheap, ugly shirt and medal and random people who happen to show up and run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just? I can't think of anything more in keeping with the theme of ill advised racing!

      Delete
  2. See you at Horror Trail Run :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, have at me!