Friday, August 28, 2015

Tendinitis tightrope

So far, so good.

I'm finally starting to feel like I'm back. I'm running 6 days per week again instead of the paltry 3 times I had been through June and July while that whatever-it-is tendon in my right hip/groin/leg was being a jerk. The time off seems to have helped, and while I can't say it's perfect it's definitely one hell of a lot better than it was.

By Tuesday of this week the weather had mercifully cooled off a bit from its former "swamp on Mercury" conditions, and combined with possibly having regained a teensy bit of fitness by drudging through feeling horribly fat, beat up and out of shape last week, I finally had a run during which I could actually relax.

I even started enjoying myself a little.

I successfully managed to run 37km last week, after months of running 20km or less (generally much less) per week. I'm on track to add to that this week, which means I'm getting within earshot of the 50km per week I generally like to maintain year-round.

I'm faced with a dilemma, though. 

I have two ultras scheduled for the month of October - the first of which is a 50k that is a paltry (and freakin' terrifying) 7 weeks away. The temptation is to pile on the mileage in an attempt to get my endurance up to snuff for an event of that magnitude.

I do that, however, and I stand a really good chance of re-injuring myself. It's not just the healing tendon I have to worry about: none of my body is accustomed to running long distance right now, all the way from my joints and soft tissues to the callouses I need to rebuild on my feet. It would be horrible to come back from one injury and end up with another because I imprudently ran too much while still trying to re-acclimatize.

Am I going to get this right? Who knows? All I can do is try to listen to my body and keep my fingers crossed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!