Friday, June 6, 2014

Grand touring

It's that time again - the 17th annual Cambridge Tour de Grand rolls live on Sunday, June 8th!

After a couple of weeks of racing things I really had no business trying to race, I am truly looking forward to just rolling through Grand River country on a bike with my sweetheart and 2,000-ish other happy people on bikes.

As opposed to other years, we're keeping things a bit shorter for 2014 - only doing the 72km route, as neither Tanker nor myself has the saddle time this spring to enjoy anything much longer. When a fun, catered tour around some beautiful country becomes a slog, you're probably not doing it right.

Our expected journey.
See a larger version and cue sheet here.

The weather looks to be partly cloudy and 25c/77f with low humidity - perfect riding weather, as long as we remember sunblock. We've already got our stores of dork-friendly cookies and energy bars to go in my jersey pockets (since I can't eat the amazing assortment of Voortman cookies provided at the rest stops), so all I have left to do is install Tanker's new tires on his bike and away we'll ride!


Artist's conception
If you're anywhere near Waterloo Region, I highly suggest coming out for the Tour de Grand. Online registration has closed, but you can still register in person tomorrow (Saturday, June 7th) at Duncan McIntosh Arena (click for map) from noon-2pm. For $25 ($50 for a family of 4), you get a choice of nine routes anywhere from 10km up to 160km that are accessible to all levels of cyclist, really well-marked courses, great volunteers, free tune-ups and mechanical support provided by local bike shops, and even lunch provided when you return to home base!

Not to mention, of course, the delightful experience of joining like-minded people for a ride through the scenic Grand River watershed.

What more could you ask for?

If you see me in my Vanderkitten jersey, come on over and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!