Friday, May 13, 2022

Too much

 Y'all, I am exhausted.

..and not just due to the sudden heatwave.

The last week has been a tough one - we camped last Friday and Saturday night at Wildwood Conservation Area to volunteer at Rugged Raccoon, which was fun but cold, windy, and tiring.


We worked the 10k afternoon aid station at ~4.5k

I finally got my first run in since Pick Your Poison (the race report for which will be posted eventually..), and then helped out at the start/finish area with race registrations and merch sales for the rest of the afternoon and evening.


It was nice to be able to explore some of the park I hadn't seen before..

..not to mention finally getting to see some parts of the course in daylight!

The combination of too much sun, too much wind, too little warmth, too little water, and too little food knocked me for a loop - perhaps all this was a little much to take on a week after an undertrained, injured, and exhausted 50k, because I felt really unwell and ended up crawling into our tent after making and eating dinner around 9pm. I was very unhappy not to be able to contribute further, but I would not have been an asset had I tried to carry on. Tank came back to our tent around 11:45pm, when I got up to brush my teeth with him, and then headed straight back to bed.

I was in slightly better shape come morning, particularly after downing a couple of litres of water before coffee

Pack up camp, drive home, drop everything off, then a quick shower and off to Mississauga to make dinner for my mum on Mothers' Day, then home again to turn this:

..starting at 10:35pm

Into this:

Elapsed time: 1 hour

Then another short night's sleep, as I had to be up super early to go into the office Monday morning to meet our new finance intern. I actually had a pretty good day, and took advantage of being in downtown Kitchener for a pleasant post-work run.

Sunshine and warmth and Victoria Park!

I finished up back at the office, then Tank came and picked me up - the day we'd been waiting for since mid-April had finally come, and we picked up our new family member!

Meet Trixie! She's 2 months old - born March 10th, 2022

On top of all of this, I've been training our intern all week - while both of us work remotely, so it's been marathon video calls all day, every day. The young fellow is doing well, but of course we need to go slowly, while it's one of the busiest times of year at work; after essentially performing on camera all day, I have hours of additional tasks I have to take care of because well, things just need to get done.

..which is not made any easier by having a kitten either crying in her isolation room, or doing her best to distract me if I bring her into my office.

Speaking of crying: I've been woken up at least a half to three-quarters of an hour early every morning since we brought her home, by her pitiful little meows from her isolation room while we try to introduce her slowly to the rest of the cats in the house.

We finally had some supervised face-to-face time last night, and it went great! But we still put her back in her own room before we went to bed, so no-one would get any bad ideas while we slept.

To top it all off, my stupid ankle is...stupid. Painful enough that I probably won't be running for a bit, which means I lose one of my major stress relief outlets. 


..just as the beautiful weather is starting, too.

I tried to get the race report done this evening, but I just don't have it in me right now: I'm too tired, don't really want to talk about running at the moment, and I'm just too distracted with the new little fuzzball to be able to fight my way through.

..especially since I keep having to close all my windows to prevent unwanted input.

So, I'm going to try to rest and heal a bit, and see what next week brings. I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

..with plenty of time to relax and recharge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!