Friday, March 4, 2022

2021/2022 100 in 100 Post-Mortem

 I never do these posts, and I always sort of regret it later.

..when I have to go searching through raw data to try to figure it all out.

This post is literally all for me, but I'll try to include some pretty pictures. Bear with me, mkay?

I'll try to keep it short, though regular readers will know how that usually turns out

The rules for runs to count: they must be a minimum of 3.0mi (4.82km) OR 30mins, whichever comes first. Up to 3 runs per day count, but the beginning of each run must be 1hr or more after the finish of the last. There are some other finicky bits for people who like to split hairs, but I go by those core rules.

By the numbers:

  • Total runs completed in the 100 days (Nov 15, 2021 - Feb 22, 2022): 114
  • Total days off during that time: 14 (all but 2 Fridays, plus the day after my Covid booster)
  • Total days of running: 86 = 1.325 runs per day

Many of which were on very icy sidewalks and trails

A few additional statistics of interest:
  • Longest run streak: 9 days (Dec 18-Dec 26, while I was off work - I got my booster Dec 26th)
  • Number of snowshoe runs: 6, including an 8km snowshoe race on the final weekend

With a second run afterward

Some were easy, on well-packed trails

Some were bloody near impossible, like this jaunt 'round the neighbourhood after a huge dump of snow

  • Total mileage run: 715.39km (444.52mi)
  • Average mileage per run: 6.275km (3.9mi)
  • Average mileage per day of running (86 days): 8.318km (5.2mi)
  • Longest run: 16.5km (10.25mi)
  • Biggest mileage day: Feb 12th - 10.45km + 16.5km = 26.95km
  • Shortest run: something like 5.01km (3.11mi) - I did not invoke the 30min minimum on any runs

While most runs were between 5 and 6 kilometers, I usually had at least 1 per week that was 10km+

  • Place in the final standings: 19th
  • People in the challenge who logged 100+ runs: 100 (quel coincidence, eh?)
  • People in the challenge who logged more than 1 run: 450

Some of the mileages and paces were really impressive!

  • Night trail runs: a brief survey of my insta posts says 15? It felt like more..

Headlamp optional


I basically bracketed the challenge with races, as Leftovers was the first Saturday and Flurry the last

  • Times my spikes broke on runs: 2

Fortunately without any disastrous consequences, and I've been able to fix them both times

  • Coldest temperature run: -24c (-11.2f) with windchill of -30c (-22f)

For a 10km bop down to the market on a Saturday morning

  • Times I got caught in a blizzard after dark: 2 or 3, depending on how I want to define "blizzard"

"Easier to see without a headlamp" definitely qualifies

So does "snow piling up on my hat"

  • Beautiful sunsets seen: too many to count

Sunrises? Zero

  • Times I stepped into a snowbank that swallowed my entire leg: once

Which is - let me tell you - more than enough

  • Times I had to wade through close-to-knee-deep meltwater on a flooded trail: twice

Though both were on the same run - December 12th

  • Most enjoyable runs: a really snowy one to the market (Feb 5th), and Puslinch Tract (Feb 21)

The marshmallow world

I'd expected ~5km of slush at Puslinch - what I got was 9 joyful kilometers of perfect conditions!

  • Snow angels: at least four

Would have been more, but I may have frostbitten my bum a little on one of them..

  • Times I did not particularly want to run: too many to count
  • Times I did it anyway: all of them.

And I almost always felt better for doing so
  • Number of double run days (when I did two qualifying runs in one day): 28
  • Number of triple run days: zero (I ran 3 times on Feb 19, but the first was only a ~1km warmup before the snowshoe race, so did not count)
  • Longest streak of double run days: 3 in a row, Feb 19-20-21 (Family Day weekend)
One of which was my first jacket-free run of the year!


This was a particularly cold, nasty winter as compared with the last decade or so, and I have been working too many hours to contemplate for the duration, so while it's short of my high water mark of 121 runs (achieved in the 2020/2021 edition) I'm definitely happy with the end result. Now - after a week of taking things a little easier (like only running once per day last weekend) - it's time to start building mileage for the ultra season to come!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive as always K. And it has been a cold windy winter. Many days I ditched the morning run and stayed in bed.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, have at me!