Friday, August 13, 2021

Night and Day

 What a difference a few months can make.

There's a lot more to trip over, for one thing.

There's a trail in Guelph - built and maintained by the Guelph Hiking Trail Club - between the Humane Society and the Niska Rd bridge. I've known about it for a couple of years now, but for some reason or other I'd only ever run it in winter.

..and usually near (or after) dark.

I remembered that it existed last weekend, and that I still had yet to explore its full length as there was a bridge missing up until my last jaunt there late this past winter. So, I set out to see what I could see, and was astonished by how different it looked in the lush growth of summer!


Winter darkness - January 2021

Winter sun - a little more inviting in February 2020

HOLY HECK - August 2021

I couldn't believe how unfamiliar everything appeared when I'm so accustomed to seeing it covered in snow and ice.

Barren field into leafless forest - January 2021

A riot of growth in August 2021
(This may not actually be the same spot)

While static landmarks like bridges were easily identified, even they looked a bit strange with dramatically lower water (or rather ice?) levels than I've ever seen.


Bridge where the side trails form a figure 8 with the main trail

The tributary of the Speed River had dried up almost completely

Lots of ice in February 2020

Just a mudflat in August 2021

Other parts of the trail were completely unrecognizable from their familiar forms.

I've always wondered - is it safer to run through a spot where a lot of trees have already fallen when it's super windy out, or does that actually increase the risk?

Umm, wait - what fallen trees?

I discovered boggy spots and endless roots and rocks I'd never seen before, as they'd always been buried in snow and ice.

Another thing I'd never encountered here previously was the hordes of voracious mosquitoes!

I pushed farther along than I ever had before; I actually ended up passing right by the Guelph Humane Society, and - finding orange (main trail) blazes past a short road section - ended up trotting along between the Speed River and Wellington Road.

Some welcome shade - rain had been predicted, but never materialized

It was beautiful but very humid and quite hot when the sun shone

I reached the parking lot for the skate park on Wellington a little more than 4.5km from where I'd started, and - only having brought a single hand bottle of water as the section I was doing said it was less than 4km total one-way - decided to turn around, after dunking my tubular bandana in the river to try to get some cooling.

It was a "cooling fabric", yet I actually still found it less effective than a cotton bandana

The further reaches of the trail hug the river's edge quite closely, giving it a much different character than the western end.

They're both charming in their own ways, though

As I returned to the portions of the trail with which I thought I was familiar, I was once again astonished by how different they appeared in the height of summer.

So much rootier than I had known, and that vibrant undergrowth is amazing!

I don't honestly think I can decide which way I like it best - draped in white in the depths of winter, or bursting with life in the heat of summer.


Because this is absolutely stunning too - at least to me!

Lucky for me I'm not forced to choose; with the trailhead just a 25min drive from my doorstep, I can feel free to explore it any time I like!

Though I think I'll wear a few more layers for the winter excursions..

So here's your reminder that you never really know a trail until you've seen it in all its seasons, and you may be surprised by how much it can feel like a fresh exploration when you see things you think are familiar in a whole new light. 


Shout out to the GHTC for their hard work to give me - and other trail wanderers - such a lovely playground!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!