Friday, June 25, 2021

Oversize Load

 No, I'm not referring to my bum.


..though it's a generally accurate description.

I'm thinking, rather, of the crushing weight that feels like it's getting on top of me a bit lately. My job has been demanding even more time and energy than ever lately; it feels like being stuck on a treadmill at ever-increasing speed, with no emergency stop in sight.


I've seen a lot more sunsets than usual recently, or missed the sun entirely by the time I get out to run.
Not encouraging when it's been the longest few days of the year.

All of this is happening while I'm desperately trying to push my mileage back up to at least the level required to comfortably run a 50k, despite having something unfathomably longer drawing ever closer as the days fly by.


Beautiful trails help - being exhausted does not.

Twice this week I've had to cut down planned distance for a run because I was starting at - or after - 10pm, and still hadn't even had lunch yet. When it's all you can do to drag yourself out the door (while ignoring your Garmin's oh-so-helpful suggestion to "Rest instead") and you know you still need to cook dinner, or shower, or make sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch when you get back, 8km becomes 5-and-a-bit instead. I drop a balance board workout. Morning weightlifting goes from a solid 30mins down to 15 so I can have a bit of a lay-in.


Every extra minute of sleep helps

The worst part is that it's not just the exhaustion - my body is rebelling against me, too. Both of my ankles have been increasingly cranky, despite finally chucking a few pairs of rather worn shoes and busting out some brand new ones.


Well, for the road anyway - I still can't find a new pair of trail shoes I like

Despite trying to work with a chiropractor & ART practitioner on it, my lower back/hip issue seems to be getting worse, too. I don't know if it's something about how I'm sleeping, or if my mattress needs replacing, or some other thing, but I have real trouble getting comfortable in bed and sleep poorly even in the hours I'm able.

I feel like I might as well be trying to nap down there

On the brighter side, we're finally going to get our first camping trip in ages next weekend! We're not going far - less than 30mins outside of town - but I am greatly looking forward to getting away from the desk that lurks just past my bedroom door. Working from home is certainly convenient, but it does make it difficult to call it a day, especially when there's just so much to be done.

But, as much as I may be struggling, I'm still out there trying.


Because time spent running is never time wasted, and I won't let anything take it from me

May you all have time to catch your breath this weekend, and show yourself some kindness!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to find out what this "something unfathomably longer" turns out to be. :)
    I don't feel like I'm ultra shape either. Haven't done one since January though I've been biking and swimming more. A better mix. My toenails are starting to get the semblance of normalcy. That just ain't right.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, have at me!