Friday, August 21, 2020

Moving on

 I hear the average tenure period in a single job is less than five years.

Then it's just water under the bridge..


I, however, have been at my current position for more than seventeen. Another few months, and my career here would be old enough to vote!


That's a long time to be stuck in one corner
(Ok I actually had my own office, where I didn't have to people if I didn't want to)


No more, though. Today was my last day here, and I'm quite excited about the new job I'll be starting - it will look quite different from my current one, and I hope I'll be able to get myself up to speed quickly with all the changes.


Also: NO MORE COMMUTE TO MISSISSAUGA!


At the same time, there will be people and things I will miss. Some of my clients are amazing people, and I've dealt with some of the same bank staff for years. The last two weeks have been filled with some bittersweet goodbyes, and some really touching messages from people with whom I've done many forms of business over the last decade-and-a-half plus.


Not least to some of my favourite lunch run spots!


But it was definitely time, if not a couple of years late. I've done my due diligence, having spent the last two weeks training my successor - a bright, capable young lady whom I'm sure will carry on the same commitment to client needs that I have tried to uphold - and tying up all the loose ends I could.


Also exploring a few little bits here and there I'd always meant to check out..


So now it's time to put the lid on this chapter of my life, and walk out of here knowing I did the best I could. I don't exactly know what the future holds, but I'm ready to go find out.


Adios!

Hope you all have an amazing weekend - I'm going to try to relax, as I start my new career on Monday morning!


4 comments:

  1. All the best for your next chapter! Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin - it's certainly a huge change, but I'm lucky to have joined an amazingly supportive company and team!

      Delete
  2. Good Luck K. 14 years into my career I took a step sideways into a new job and never regretted it. There were people and things I missed but others I wanted to rid myself of. A change is as good as a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Neil! My first week was a lot to take on but I know I'm in so much better a place, and my new team and company are made up of amazing people that are offering me amazing support and feedback to help me succeed!

      Delete

Go on, have at me!