Friday, December 6, 2019

Dashing through the slush

I am - by many measures - unfathomably dumb.

It's true.

I'm not kidding. Apart from the years worth of evidence already provided by this blog, I can confirm that I spent Sunday running in the vicious ice storm that disrupted everyone's lives in Southern Ontario and beyond. Not once, mind you - twice.


The 100 runs in 100 days Challenge started Sunday, so of course I put in a double.

I also signed up to run a freakin' marathon on PAVEMENT. It furthermore happens to be ONE HUNDRED laps of a path around a baseball diamond.

These are not the actions of someone with all their mental faculties.


At least the distance seems to be fairly accurate, though the satellite view shows the path still under construction.

It's a Sunday race, too - who does that? I mean sure, "marathons are on Sundays", but should this even count? 

Speaking of counting: we're on our own to keep track of laps. All HUNDRED of them. For someone who can literally lose track of laps while swimming a 200m interval (which is only 8 lengths of any of the pools I use), this is going to require the use of a device, which I then have to be smart enough to actually click every lap...or else I'll end up running even longer.

Kickin' it oldschool - Tanker was sweet enough to borrow one of these from his warehouse for me.

Think I've tested it out while running? HA! Have you not been paying attention?

The time cut-off is 5 hours. I have no idea if I can run a marathon in 5 hours anymore. My PR is 4h17m28s, but that was five and a half years and several injuries ago. Heck, up until 2 weeks ago I hadn't even run for an hour without stopping..


At least the weather is supposed to be mild.


DAT WIND DOE

Of course, with the fresh dump of snow we've just had, that's likely to turn the paved pathway into a river of slush.


I encountered something similar at 3c on Wednesday evening.


..an issue which I'm sure will only be made worse by the fact we've been told the park has poor drainage. I am envisioning hours and hours of splashing through slush puddles, much to the detriment of my previously-frostbitten toes.



42km of this


So, if you happen to think of me on Sunday, send a little positive energy my way as I try to stumble my way through this mess I've got myself into. With a little luck (and maybe my neoprene toe covers), I might come out of it all upright and still able to count to 20.

For all my fellow idiots: I'll see you there!

2 comments:

  1. Well if meh wasn't full, I'd probably be out there with you. But I'll beam positive thoughts your direction for a marathon PB.
    Now to be truly hell, shouldn't this start at 7AM or something? Not that me and 5 friends did that today, -10C, seeing the sun rise over a frozen bay of quinte. Lots of crazy to go around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sunrise must have been amazing! Since the wind increased throughout the day I think the later start actually made things more miserable, though admittedly I bailed before the worst of it. Instead of a PB I should have just asked for positive thoughts for my body holding up long enough to finish!

      Delete

Go on, have at me!