Friday, March 15, 2019

Full Circle

As I mentioned last week, the 100 runs in 100 days challenge has been somewhat of a raging success for me this year.

Despite the winter definitely not having all been bluebird days like this one.

I got my 100th run in down to the market on Saturday morning at -10c, but with the sun beating down from a wide open sky it felt much warmer as I trucked through the woods.


So much unzipping and shuffling of layers.

With the temperature predicted to climb to the freezing mark in the afternoon, then increase further through Sunday after rains beginning Saturday night, I figured it was probably the last of the snowy trail runs I'd see for many months. So, even knowing that I needed to get a longer run than the 5-6k I've been doing for the second workout on Saturday, I made the decision to take advantage of the conditions one last time.


Noone ever said I made good decisions.
Quite the opposite, really.

Just to make it extra perfect, we headed down to Shade's Mill Conservation Area - the place where I'd not only run my first-ever snowshoe race at the 2019 Dion Winter Goose Chase, but also gone for my first run in a pair of Dion snowshoes.


Not to mention all the hiking, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, swimming, canoeing and stand-up paddleboarding I've done here over the years.

Conditions were even quite similar as I set out - around the freezing mark, with the least-packed snow being along the beach. It was like wading through wet cement for the first few minutes! The snow was much more packed as I got to the trails proper, though, and headed across the lovely little footbridge.


Such a pretty spot.

The sun was still shining as I ran through the stand of cedar trees on the other side of the creek that flows into the lake, and I even saw a damn bug crawling across the snow!


Though there were much more appealing sights.

Not all of the trails had seen much foot traffic - there were some that had clearly been the sole domain of some intrepid cross-country skiers, though I did also see some other snowshoe tracks about.



Not easy running through the heavy, unpacked snow.

I started out by more or less following the Conquer the Canuck 2017 course map I had on my phone.


Which I had to keep checking, because I'm a terrible navigator when I'm running.

I soon started to go my own way, though, to hit some of the other trails that I hadn't seen in some time - or, in a few cases, at all. The sun and milder air had also taken its toll in a few places, as I found a bit of a slushy spot here and there.


Better on snowshoes than skis!

The rolling hills through the pines were mostly still quite snowy, though, and provided an excellent workout.


Up and over and up again.

I had wanted to take things a bit easy, but I also had a distance in mind I wanted to get done and was under a bit of time constraint due to some super fun plans we'd made with friends for that evening. So, I worked pretty hard in between my stops to check the map to see where the heck I was.


This was not always immediately apparent.

I also had to be a bit cautious at one point that was almost entirely bare of snow.


Definitely the last snowshoe run for awhile!

Back across the bridge after running almost every bit of trail on the other side, it was up the big rocky hill with its impressive view.


I have seen this in every season, and it never fails to excite me.

The hardwoods left the trail more open to the morning sun - which had now disappeared behind the clouds, as the wind began to pick up - meaning more slushy patches of snow.


At least it wasn't wet and splashy, so my feet didn't get too soaked.

I ran a loop I'd seldom seen, down then back up the hill, then followed the Conquer the Canuck course down the hill one last time and back toward the beach.


By this time it was starting to get quite cold as the wind freshened in the dampness from the melting snowpack.

Being unconstrained by a set course, I was able to go run the beach trail that has been cut out of Conquer the Canuck since I raced it in 2016 (and was never, to my knowledge, part of the Winter Goose Chase). 



To my mind it's one of the most stunning parts of the park.

With a little loop through the pine woods near the Nature Centre, I made my mileage goal with just barely enough time to get home, shower...and be 20mins late arriving at our friends' house. Whoops.


Full details (for anyone who cares) are here.


So, I managed to get about a half marathon's worth of mileage in between my 100th and 101st runs, and having my last snowshoe run of the season be at beautiful Shade's Mill truly feels like coming full circle for my snowshoe running season. Afterwards, I finally made my snowshoes properly mine before putting them to bed 'til next winter.


Goodnight, friends - see you in a few months.

I'm really happy to have made snowshoe running a part of my training and racing this year, and will honestly miss it now that the snow has largely disappeared. While I find it incredibly difficult and taxing, I also find it greatly satisfying to put in the hard work it requires. I'm also delighted to have had the opportunity to explore beautiful places - both familiar and not - in a brand new way!


Good fun, even if I'm not particularly good at it!

Hopefully next year will bring good conditions to get back out and maybe even get a little training in before the snowshoe racing season begins. Even if it doesn't, though, you can be guaranteed I'll be at a start line or two - hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 100 runs K (I care). Besides building a good base like you said in the previous post, it strengthens fortitude which you obviously have. On those really crappy days not fit for man or beast, I always think "what is my competition doing?"
    Then I head outside.

    Now, onto those long runs!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, have at me!