Friday, September 21, 2018

Counting Down

I don't make good decisions.

Though running on the Mill Run Trail at sunset is almost always a safe bet.

My right ankle is still being whiny and uncooperative, now a full 7 months removed from the idiot incident that did the damage. Some might posit that participation in events totalling more than 220km since then might have something to do with the continuing discomfort, particularly since I've been undertrained for essentially all of them...but why should we let good sense get in the way of having a bit of a laugh, right?

There are trails to chase!

Flowers to sniff!

Since the two weeks I took off after Tally in the Valley (partly due to our 5-day canoe tour), I've actually managed to get some pretty decent training in.

173.2km over 7 weeks, two of which were mostly rest weeks.

I'm feeling stronger again, and it's an amazing time of year to be out on the trails.


Summer's second bloom is upon us.

So, maybe I might not be totally foolish in having signed up for the Horror Trail 6-hour..?


Don't answer that.

I figure it works out perfectly - I have the Sticks n'Stones 50k on October 6th, then Horror Trail on October 27th, then The Beav 50k on November 10th.

Four weeks from Haliburton to Sticks n'Stones.

Three weeks from Sticks n'Stones to Horror Trail.

Two weeks from Horror Trail to The Beav.


How bad could it be?

Since that makes almost 150km of racing (well, depending on what conditions are like - both the trail and my own - for the 6-hour) in 5 weeks, though, I don't think I'll be looking for another event on November 17th to complete the countdown.


I'll see whether or not I even feel like running then.

Really, this is all happening because I'd really hate to miss out on Horror Trail - this will be my 9th consecutive year running it, and it holds a special place in my heart as my first ultra ever. I'd already been signed up for Sticks n'Stones and The Beav (love those Happy Trails Racing events!) since before I was injured, and it's not like I have any performance goals - just finish upright and undamaged.

Besides, if I can pull it all off it should give me a decent head start on my base for next year. Crossing my fingers that my body is on board with this all, as I've got some big ideas for 2019..


Let's just hope they have a leg to stand on.


2 comments:

Go on, have at me!