Friday, August 24, 2012

Things not to do this weekend

Sunday at Puslinch Tract

Red badge of courage, 1 week from race day.

On the bright side, I'm unbroken. The bike is unbroken. I'm a little bruised, but still ready to race at Mine Over Matter on Sunday. Well, ready as in having done one ride on my new mountain bike since the above incident without crashing.

They've apparently taken a half-kilometer out of each loop on the bike course, but we'll still have to go bombing down the ski hill and then climb up again - apparently the ascent will be up a different section this year due to construction at Glen Eden to replace one of their lifts, but I'm sure it'll be just as punishing.

My gravitationally challenged arse may be 10lbs lighter than last year, but the lovely cool temperatures we've been experiencing for the last week or so are disappearing into a soupy mess of 30+ celcius and high humidity. They're talking about a smog advisory for the weekend. Joy.

LeMond said "It never gets easier, you just go faster". In this case, I say "it hurts even more, and you go even slower". Guess as long as I don't go for another flight over the bars I should be fine, right?

Right?

In other news, Tanker gets his new mountain bike this evening. It's kind of nice to know that it wasn't just me - my old Kona rigid just isn't all that great to ride on XC trails, even if you're closer to the right size for it (it's a 19" frame, and was always a bit big for me). After a weekend of Tanker wrestling it around Shade's Mills and the Tract, he was heartily sick of poor old Dusty. It looks like he'll be converted to single speed at some point and hang around as my snow bike. Sorry buddy, it's not me - it's you.

Artist's conception.


Now where the hell are our Awesome Straps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!